PDA

View Full Version : IGI Search

Derek Atherton
30-10-2006, 1:37 PM
I thought I understood IGI entries until a recent "foray" into the children of James/Mary Atherton in (and around) the 1820's. I have not yet found their marriage details.

I now have different Batch Numbers for what I believe (?) is the same family -C013359/C013004 who appear to be born in Altrincham and Christened in Bowdon Cheshire? The names of the children I have are Anne 1818, Mary 1821, Jane 1822, Sarah 1823 and 1824, Ellen 1826 - there is no record of other siblings James 1829 or Peter 1830!

Could I ask one of you wizards out there to check my facts? I do know that the IGI is not 100% accurate, though I thought the Batch Nos would help solve my problems!

Regards,
Derek

Peter Goodey
30-10-2006, 3:26 PM
Neither of those batches shows a Source Call No. and neither is listed on Hugh Wallis' site.

I suppose you could ask the Family Search site for an explanation but by the time you get a sensible reply from them you could have got hold of the Bowden parish registers and checked for yourself (which I hope you'd be doing anyway ;) )

jeeb
30-10-2006, 5:21 PM
I thought I understood IGI entries until a recent "foray" into the children of James/Mary Atherton in (and around) the 1820's. I have not yet found their marriage details.

I now have different Batch Numbers for what I believe (?) is the same family -C013359/C013004 who appear to be born in Altrincham and Christened in Bowdon Cheshire?

Regards,
Derek

Hi Derek,
It would appear these enteries have been added by an individual. There is no dates, source number or type with the entries. However these batch nos do not just refer to the name Atherton as several different names can be found under the same batch nos and give the same information ie place of birth, baptismal date with both parents given the surname. It would seem the two different batches cover different years:- C013004 1813-1822 & C013359 1823-1826. Probably these are the only years that were covered for Bowdon by the individual and is probably why you cannot locate the later children.

Cheers Jeremy

Derek Atherton
30-10-2006, 5:33 PM
Many thanks for your replies.

Is there anyone able to carry out a PR search please in Bowdon?

As I'm in Sussex, it's more than a little difficult!

Ever hopeful,

Derek