PDA

View Full Version : Help finding George Press

Ed Bradford
28-10-2006, 1:20 PM
I’ve just been informed by another family researcher that one of my ancestors, George Press, was in the military service about the time of the Napoleonic War. George Press lived in Northern Ireland. The researcher says that one document states that George is a pensioner of the Royal Marines and another that he was a Naval Officer. It appears that George Press died in Churchtown, Ireland on the 30th of August 1854 at the age of 73, which would make his birth occurring about 1781. It is possible that he was at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.

I love to do the research but I haven’t a clue as to what records are available to research this. I would appreciate any suggestions that your might have, any links to online information and some idea of CDs that I could purchase.

|help| ………………Ed

Rachel2
30-10-2006, 11:33 AM
This isn't the George Press that you are after, I don't think, and don't know if this is any relative of his but if you go to the National Archives website, point to search at the top of the page and from the drop down list choose 'catalogue'. Put in the name George Press and you will find information about someone of that name from Ireland. The reference no is WO/1256/196.
I obtained some information about an ancestor of mine who was a chelsea pensioner which gave me a description of the person, the date he was injured and the nature of his injuries but nothing about his wife or parents. However, it is a fantastic copy to have.
Good luck in your search,
Rae

Ed Bradford
01-11-2006, 6:27 PM
Rae, thanks for the heads up on this George Press. He isn't the one I was looking for but I believe he's part of my line and his tour of service was unknown to me. This gives me another tidbit of information and another lead. Again, thanks.
:) .............Ed