PDA

View Full Version : c19th Shropshire Farmers & Farming

Norman
27-10-2006, 6:37 PM
One of the delights of researching family history is being drawn into the social history. My own researches have taken me from c17th dissenters in the Essex marshes, to life on a great estate in north Oxfordshire, to the Chartists in Stoke.

Recently having discovered 19th century Shropshire farmers among my ancestors, I am keen to know more about them.

Having had a farm at Duncott in 1841, William Miller, born in Halesowen, was farming 180 acres at Donington in 1851. The farm may have passed, when he retired, to the younger of his two sons, James, who in 1871 was living at Donington House, Donington and farming 106 acres, before he eventually emigrated to Toronto, Canada. James' elder brother Richard, living nearby in 1871 at Sydnale House, Donington, had a farm of 198 acres and 10 years later had moved to Badger where he had a farm of 210 acres at Badger in 1881.

William Miller’s sister Anna married Richard Bayley, son of a Wroxeter family, who farmed 200 acres at Cluddeley, Wrockwardine, from before 1841 and probably until his death in 1887. He lived in a large Georgian House that still stands.

Questions that come to mind are: Were they tenant farmers? If so, how secure was that occupation and who might have owned the land? What sort of farming were they likely to have been involved in? Would they have been prosperous? Was this part of Shropshire affected by the poor harvests elsewhere in England during the 1870s and 1890s? Did many farmers from Shropshire migrate to Canada? Is there any evidence that men who had accumulated wealth from industries in the ‘Black Country’ towns bought and retired to farms in Shropshire?

Can anyone point me to any sources (in books or online) that might help answer some of these questions and give me an insight into their lives? Many thanks for any help.

MJHulme
28-10-2006, 9:40 AM
Hello Norman

Your people were most likely to be tenants, the farm probably being part of a large local estate. If you can locate a copy of the Tithe Map and Apportionment (around 1840) that will tell you who the land owner was and who the occupier was at the time. It will also list every field on that farm which you can then mark on the map.

I would guess that they would probably be involved in mixed farming, some milking cows, some pigs, some sheep and some arable. Farms around 200 acres were quite substantial so they were in business in a fairly big way.

There was a considerable amount of advertising in the Shropshire newspapers by the Canadian government to attract people to Canada around the early 1900's.

I think the idea of wealthy industrialists retiring to country farms is fairly unlikely but nothing is impossible.

If you don't have any modern farming connections then you should try to have a trip to the Acton Scott Working Farm Musuem in south Shropshire which is set to represent a farm about 1900. They have lots of books there as well as all the animals. See
http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/museums.nsf/open/EBF7CD1B5949FD2A80256C77003B930B

Mike

Norman
31-10-2006, 4:05 PM
Thanks, Mike. Most helpful. I'll certainly look forward to visiting Acton Scott farm museum.

I'd be interested to know what the local Shropshire papers were during the late nineteenth century.

I queried the possibility of succesful businessmen moving to Shropshire farms prompted by William Miller's brother Richard: in 1841 a "Coal master" and in 1851 a "Land Proprietor" living in West Bromwich, then in 1861 a "Land Proprietor" living at Whiston Grange, Albrighton. Although he was still living at Albrighton in 1871, his address is not given and I cannot decipher his occupation.

Whiston Grange still stands, I gather. As does Lea Hall, Boninghall ("Boningale") where, through an 1819 will, I discovered that my 5x-Great Grandfather Thomas Ward lived.

Plenty of good reasons for crossing the Pennines from Yorkshire to explore a county not known to me at all, perhaps next spring.

MJHulme
01-11-2006, 8:21 AM
Your best bet with newspapers is probably the Wellington Journal which started in 1854. The Federation of Family History Societies produce a booklet (Local Newspapers) listing all known newspapers for each county. You should be able to purchase a copy from your local FHS or possibly find a copy in your local library.

I would guess that 'Land Proprietor' is someone who owns land (including the farms on it) but does not necessarily occupy or farm it. Again the Tithe records will answer this for you.

Mike

mykin
16-08-2007, 10:48 AM
This thread seems to have come to a stop. I went through everything before I posted. I too am looking for farming practises in the 19th century. I would think everything was similar in the whole country, but my people were farming lastly in Edgmond Shropshire before coming to Ontario, Canada. As England, Ireland, Scotland were the early settlers in Ontario, I want to see the differences from Shropshire. Does anyone know of some online reading about this?? doe

AnnB
16-08-2007, 12:32 PM
A site which might be of some use :)
http://www.discovershropshire.org.uk/html/search/verb/GetRecord/homepage:20061031152142

This is part of the Discovering Shropshire site http://www.discovershropshire.org.uk/html which looks very interesting for anyone with an interest in Shropshire.

Best wishes
Ann

bristolloggerheads
16-08-2007, 5:08 PM
This thread seems to have come to a stop. I went through everything before I posted. I too am looking for farming practises in the 19th century. I would think everything was similar in the whole country, but my people were farming lastly in Edgmond Shropshire before coming to Ontario, Canada. As England, Ireland, Scotland were the early settlers in Ontario, I want to see the differences from Shropshire. Does anyone know of some online reading about this?? doe

Have you seen?

http://www.geocities.com/pennytrueman/edgmnd1.html

MJHulme
20-08-2007, 9:10 AM
Hello Doe in Canada

I was brought up on a farm in Shropshire just after WWII and most of my relatives were farmers. I would be happy to ring you (free on my internet phone) if you would like to send me your telephone number off the forum. Click my user name on the left and one of the options is to send a private message.

Mike