PDA

View Full Version : Thomas GAZE

smallthings
27-10-2006, 12:55 PM
I have the above Thomas GAZE (mariner) marrying Ann SMALL in South Shields in 1838. St Hilda's register gives the groom's father as Thomas GAZE, farmer.

Once married, they seem to disappear! Freebmd has a death entry for Thomas GAZE, Mar 1838, in SS but no age - so I don't know who this was. The nearest to similar for Ann is Ann Bertram GAZE in Tynemouth, 1869 - but my Ann was not baptised with that name (Bertram).

I can't find them in the SS 1851 index, or anywhere else.

Can anyone help?

birdlip
30-06-2007, 1:10 PM
Hi there, are you still looking for this couple?

I'm tempted to say 'aha!' they must have emigrated, and you're probably related to Andrew Gaze, the Australian Olympic basketballer...

However, Gaze strikes me as a name that enumerators could've had a field day with, especially when you throw in a North East accent. Apart from Gayes, Gase, Gais, Gays and Geys; you could look for all of the above and substitute a C or a K.

It seems that the marriage took place in Dec qu 1838, is that the one? So that rules out Thomas's possible death you found, which I think you said was in Mar 1838.

What were their dob's and places of birth? I'm not sure if I've found a possibility in 1841.

Regards, Birdlip

smallthings
18-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Hi Birdlip

Yes, I'm still keeping an eye out for them. I hadn't thought of all those alternatives...!

Ann was born 1814 in Chatham, Kent. Her father, Charles, was a shipwright in south Shields who moved his young family to Kent presumably because there was more work?

He and his wife Dorothy had several children in Chatham and then about 1830ish everyone except for Charles seems to reappear in Shields.

Ann married Thomas 7 Nov 1838 at St Hilda's. Her brother Francis married 1831 and sister Mary in 1835. Brother Peter married in 1847.

And her mother remarried in 1831 also!

If you have found a link that would be fantastic!

Jan

birdlip
18-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi Jan,

I have been hunting high and low for the little piece of paper I wrote this possibility on, and suspect in the intervening few weeks, it may have been tidied away in the round file under my desk!

As a penance, and now that I know Ann was b 1814 in Chatham, I've spent the last hour or so hunting through 1851 census with every surname variation I can think of, and I can't find a thing.

I shall hang my head in shame. Sorry.

regards, birdlip

smallthings
21-08-2007, 9:23 PM
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to look for them! Parts of that family seem determined to hide for ever - talk about brick walls!

I dream of the possibility of browsing through census images and having a eureka! moment or two!

Jan