PDA

View Full Version : Richard Davies b. <1855> Pembroke Dock

MJones
11-11-2004, 1:08 PM
I have tracked down my wife’s g.grandfather in the 1901 census: Richard Davies b <1855> Pembroke Dock (Seaman, Trinity Service in 1880 and Dock Ships Labourer in 1901), his wife Lavin(i)a Davies (nee Evans) b <1854> [they married 1st quarter 1878], and their 4 children Albert Evan b 02-03-1880, Charles b<1883> (Shipwright in 1901), Gladys b <1887> and Ellen b<1893>.

In the 1881 census, Lavina and her son Albert are living with her father, George Evans and her sister, Mary Evans at 9 Laws Street Nth, Pembroke Dock. Lavina and Albert are described as sailor’s wife and son. Richard was presumably away (Rich Davies, AB Seaman, lodging in Cardigan at the time of the 1881 census seems to fit for age and place of birth). Albert went on to be a lighthouse keeper at various places on the East Coast of England.

I should be most grateful if anyone could anyone assist in identifying Richard’s parents and siblings from all the Davies’s in the area, e.g. from earlier census data? There seem to be a number of them in and around Pembroke Dock, or born there, who were in Trinity-related occupations.

Also, please, does anyone know of what happened to the rest of Albert’s family, after he moved away to England in the early 1900s?

Many thanks.

Martin

Annie
14-11-2004, 4:50 PM
Hi Martin

Do you have Richard's father's name from the marriage certificate? It would make it easier to find the right Richard.
I have found Richard and Lavinia on the 1891 census with her father and sister and will send you the images if you don't already have them.

Annie

MJones
19-11-2004, 1:51 PM
Annie - just a public 'thank you' for your assistance on this. As you suggest, I will now pursue getting Richard & Lavinia's marriage certificate to find his father's name.

For others who may be interested, I have 'found' another child of Richard and Lavinia from the 1891 census data: Lavinia M. , aged 9. The whole family, including Richard's father-in-law, George Evans and sister-in-law, Mary Evans, seem to have moved a short distance (and up in the world?) to 2 Front Street (next to the Kings Arms), Pembroke Dock, since the 1881 census.

Thanks again.

Martin

MJones
29-04-2005, 1:51 PM
I have now received a copy of the marriage certificate for Richard Davies and Lavinia Evans. Richard's father is given on the certificate as Evan Davies, Police Constable.

I have not been able to find reference to Evan Davies elsewhere. I should be very grateful if SKS could please see if there is any reference to Evan in Pembroke Dock with his son, Richard, aged about 6 in the 1861 census (he was 46 in the 1901 census). I can't find a birth for a Richard Davies of the right age in FreeBMD.

Thanks.

Martin

Annie
04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Martin
can't find Evan Davies but there is a Richard Davies age 6 in Pembroke:
Name: Richard Davies
Estimated birth year: 1855
Relation: Son
Where born: Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, Wales

Civil Parish or Township: Pembroke St Mary
Ecclesiastical parish: St John
Town: Pembroke Dock
County/Island: Pembrokeshire
Source information: RG9/4155
Registration district: Pembroke
Sub-registration district: Pembroke
ED, institution, or vessel: 6
Folio: 92
Page: 5 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 17

Annie

MJones
20-05-2005, 1:25 PM
Am I barking up the right family gooseberry bush?

Annie has kindly pointed out a possible family with a Richard Davies of about the right age (6 in 1861). However, as the father of this family is deceased by the date of this 1861 census, I am struggling to make a firm connection as the only definite information I have is that on my Richard's marriage certificate (1878), his father was named as Evan Davies, police constable.

The family suggested by Annie lived in North Brewery St, Pembroke St Mary in 1861:

Ann Davies, Widow, aged 50, born St Florence
Elizabeth Davies, 11, Pembroke Dock
George Davies, 9, Pembroke Dock
Richard Davies, 6, Pembroke Dock
and four boarders.

In the 1871 census, this Ann and George are probably the ones living in Front St, Pembroke Dock, with Ann's son/George's brother, Robert Davies (Hd.) aged 33, and family.

So, if someone could very kindly check for me in the 1851 census for Pembroke St Mary, please, for a Davies family with Evan as the head, wife Ann aged 40, son Robert aged about 13, and daughter Elizabeth aged about 1, then that would let me know if I'm on the right track. (There might be other children listed, of course.)

Many thanks.

Dynbach
15-10-2005, 11:36 PM
I have already answered you via WLS-Pembrokeshirfe.
Richard does not appear to be the Richard who joined the RN with a birth date in 1864. I have checked!
Trinity Service would indicate that hew worked for Trinity House who were responsible for servicing the lighthouses and lightships arounf the coast of England and Wales and a couple in southern Scottish waters, the remainder of the Scottish were serviced by the Northern Lights.
Regards
Graham