PDA

View Full Version : CULBERT Lurgan, County Armagh

adsinfo
25-10-2006, 8:48 PM
I'm trying to trace the birth of Caroline Culbert.

She married a John Thompson on 5 December 1898 in Lurgan, County Armagh
Both her marriage certificate and the Lurgan 1901 census would indicate she was born in 1878, although I appreciate these can be wrong!

Her father's name is William J Culbert.

I have searched the GRONI records between 1868 & 1881 and various online sites but still I can't find a Caroline with a father called William.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any pointers.

Thank you
Susan

Also researching CULBERT, THOMPSON (County Armagh) - LENNON, DORAN (County Down)

get2BJ
29-10-2006, 4:59 PM
Hi Susan

Have you looked on the LDS site:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

There's a good clutch of Culberts from Armagh indexed on the IGI including a couple of William John Culberts.

Good luck with your search,

Brenda

blue eyes
29-10-2006, 6:45 PM
Found this under the Griffiths Valuation Index 1847-1864

Occupier William J Culbert, lesser name George May, County Armagh, Parish Shankhill, Townland Lurgan.

Mays Court, occupier William J. Culbert, immediate lesser George May.

Description of Tenement-House, Building £2.0s.0d, total annual valuation of rateable property £2.0s.0d.

JNicLiam
30-10-2006, 6:23 AM
Susan
I know my great grand mother went home to her own mother when she was giving birth to her first child. So if William's wife is from the south it may be worth checking the records in the Republic as well for Caroline's birth.

Regards
Jill

Researching COTTER Brosna Co Kerry and Glanworth Co Cork and Cork City
QUAID Cloncagh Co Limerick and Cork City
MURPHY Carrignavar, Co Cork
WILLIAMS West Derby & Chester
HARRISON Kingsley,Cheshire

adsinfo
30-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Thank you for all your responses.

I do think the William J Culbert on the Griffiths Valuation is probably Caroline's father but proving it is another thing.

The problem I have is there are 2 William Culbert's in Lurgan around the time of her birth.

One is William Culbert that married Elizabeth Carter, they had a son William John Culbert b1866 and that one is the one on the LDS site.

The 2nd is William J Culbert that married Anne Lockhard (Loughran), who I think is the one on the valuation. I believe it is this one that is also on the 1901 census for Lurgan. So I would tend to swing towards this being Caroline's family. Just without her record of birth, I can't prove it either way.

Interestingly, I'm sure that some time ago I found online a birth for a Caroline Culbert in Dublin but I'm unable to find that record again and unfortunately I discounted it at the time. So it could be Jill's pointer could help me there.

Many thanks
Susan

cyrus
17-11-2008, 1:18 PM
Hi Susan,

I believe that William J Culbert and Anne Lockhart are also the parents of my great grandfather William J Culbert who was born in Lurgan circa 1868, calculated from 1901 census. However, like you, I have not been able to find a record of that birth. Have you had any success since your last post?

Strangford
24-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi I found a record in Emerald Ancestors of Caroline Culbert's marriage to John Thompson on the 5 December 1898 and it states she was married in Lurgan Roman Catholic Church. It therefore would be worth contacting that church to ask them to check out the records for you.

Jane

adsinfo
06-02-2009, 6:24 PM
Hi Cyrus

I believe your William J Culbert is the son of William J Culbert & Ellizabeth (possibly nee Carter this name is on the LDS site).

William J Culbert is in the Lurgan CoI records. He was born on 1 Mar 1866 and baptised on 25 Jul 1866. His father William was a weaver, his mother's maiden name isn't given. Their abode is down as Mount Crief.

Regards
Susan