PDA

View Full Version : File name order in folders

John Slann
25-10-2006, 4:18 PM
All my files used to be stored in name order in all my applications. This has now changed and I cannot find out why or how to correct this so the default across my machine is once again by file name.

Please can anyone offer simple guidance to a frustrated old man!

John

arthurk
25-10-2006, 6:54 PM
Hi John

If you're using Windows XP, open one of the folders containing the relevant files. Then go to View > Arrange Icons by - and make sure the blob is against Name. I think you might need to do this for every affected folder, though.

There is another tool which you can use to change some of the display settings for all folders: Tools > Folder Options... > View tab - then in the top section click the left hand button (Apply to all folders). This will apply the current view (Thumbnails, Tiles, Icons, etc) to all folders, but I don't know whether it also applies the current arrangement (by Name, Size, Type etc).

Other Windows versions may be slightly different, and if you're not in Windows I'm afraid I haven't a clue!

Arthur

John Slann
27-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Dear Arthur,

Sorry to have taken so long over this thank you, I couldn't get your solution to work at first and then realsed I had misread your instructions.

Thank you the problem is solved and servicing my transcribers is much simpler

Bye.....

John