PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Marie Josephine Death Cert

Raphael
24-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Hello All & UK Please.
I am looking for the Death Certificate of my Aunt, Marie Josephine Ross,Born 9th June 1909. 2 stanley Street Moston, Mother Ross formerly Louisa Victoria Delaunay.
She was baptised at Our Lady of Mount Carmel ?? ?? 1909.in Blackley.
I have a copy of the original Birth Certificate.

I saw her briefly when I was a very young child, and my My mother (Marie's sister) was Ellen Genevieve Ross, told me she died of Tuberculosis some time after she later was confirmed as a Sister and she never saw her again..

I have contacted Our Lady of Mount Carmel, and after several converstions with many Sisters from many of the Orders in Manchester and surrounding Lancashire areas and there is no trace of her up to now. We do not know what Order she was a member of,it was first thought Sisters of Mercy, but they have no details altogether I have contacted 11 Convents up to now, and spoken to 3 Priests who referred me to some of the places I had already tried

One Sister and a close relative, said that if she died of TB, it was by law a notifiable disease, and there may have been special arrangement for the Burial.

Based on the fact she was born 1909 and was possibly confirmed a Sister at the age of 21. I estimate she would have died abt 1930/1. I do not know if the 21 yr law of coming of age was applicable to a Religious Order, they do however have go through a novice stage before comfirmation

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards to All
Raphael

Procat
24-10-2006, 7:21 AM
Hi Raphael,

If you go here:

www.
ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/vital/freebmd/bmd.aspx

you can check the UK indexes for free.

Raphael
24-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Hi Procat. I and several of my many Delaunay relatives including my cousin Debbie have been searching as you sugest on Ancestry and others. The problem appears to be that she was a Nun and died of TB.(which was a notifiable disease at that time) and may have been buried in a communial grave, and as stated in my post we have seached many Orders in several Convents and no one up to now has given successful links.
Her father William Ross was interred at Moston Cemetary, and we are going to pay them a visit. I have the address, unless you know of an Email link to it.
Thank You you both very much for your replies. I shall try the Manchester forum as sugested .

Colin Moretti
25-10-2006, 8:22 AM
...The problem appears to be that she was a Nun and died of TB.(which was a notifiable disease at that time) and may have been buried in a communial grave, ...RaphaelThat won't affect whether or not she had a death certificate, if she died in the UK it should be in the index, although like all transcriptions there are errors and omissions.

As to the convent connection, the Catholic Family History Society www.
catholic-history.org.uk/cfhs/has an Index of Nuns. It is not exhaustive and the information I have does not indicate the dates of coverage but probably worth a try.

Cont.....

Colin Moretti
25-10-2006, 8:32 AM
Cont ....

This is an index of approximately 14,000 nuns who were in the English Province of their Order. It is arranged alphabetically by the surname of each nun and usually gives date of birth, names of parents, religious name, dates of profession, date and place of death and name of Order.

Write to

Catholic FHS
Margaret Butler
6 Wynderoft Close
Enfield
Middlesex EN2 7BJ

If she was sent abroad to a TB sanatorium (possibly run by the Sisters?) and died there the death wouldn't appear in the UK indexes but might in the index of deaths recorded with British Consuls.

Good luck

Colin