PDA

View Full Version : Too young and missing regiment Number.

PBaker
21-10-2006, 6:36 PM
I am researching my grand fathers WW1 war record and would like some suggestions for the next step.

The family story goes that he volunteered too young, (giving up his University Course) went to France and got sent back. He then trained to be an officer, was commissioned, and got back to France. The evidence I have so far supports this to some extent but I would like more solid proof.

Along with his officer cadet exam papers and a few photos I have a copy of a letter dated 10 June 1918 from a Captain L.T.Brook of the O.C.B at Trinity College Cambridge informing him of his Temporary Commision as 2nd Lt Edmund Baker in the Norfolk Regiment. It instructs him to report to the 3rd Battalion Norfolk Regiment stationed at Felixstowe by 12 noon 18th Jan 1918. So he got his commision.

I also have a copy of a letter sent 12th June 1918 to Officer i/c records 4th Battalion East Surrey Regiment requesting the Discharge certificate for Private Edmund Baker no. 38780 of 4th Battalion East Surrey Regiment as he has been appointed to a temporary Commision in the 3rd Batt Norfolks. This is stamped and returned 14 Jun 1918 from the No1 Record Office Hounslow stating that the discharge papers will be issued when the office receives the necessary authority. This proves he was previously enlisted. However, both 3rd Battalion Norfolks and 4th Battalion East Surrey were reserve battalions and didn't go to France.

Now it gets tricky. I cannot get a hit in the National Archives for his name and/or number as a private. Is this unusual? So I cannot prove at this stage he went to France as a Private.

However I can get a hit in the National Archives for his name on the medals register WO/372/1. for the Norfolk Regiment. I have not looked up the roll yet. I would appreciate a hint on the likely number for the roll to request as it is a little illegible. Would it be roll 71 143 Page 171 or is the 71, NR or NF for Norfolk Regiment? However, the form does prove he went to France with the Norfolks. The Theatre of War first served in Box has France with a date of 18/9/18 entered in them.

Strangely there is no recorded regiment number in the Regt No boxes. His Corps (Norf Regt) and rank ( 2/lieut) is recorded in the third line down. the Boxes above are empty.

I understand that you are given a different army number to your old number if your are commsioned from the ranks. So he should have a different number.

This doesn't appear to have been corrected as his issued Victory and Britain medals are also without number, only rank and name.

Any suggestions for further sources of information would be gratefully received with thanks

croonaert
21-10-2006, 7:19 PM
Officers didn't have numbers prior to 1920. Also, BWMs and Victory medals to officers (british Army) only had rank and name stamped on, no other details, so everything seems correct there.

Can I ask where you got the information that he was recalled from France from? All evidence points at him not having served there prior to his commission (By the way, if he gave up a University course to volunteer, then he definately wasn't too young to enlist!).

Dave.

PBaker
22-10-2006, 11:26 AM
On the age front he was born april 1899.
On the being recalled from France I agree it is not confirmed. I am trying to find out if he got that far the first time he enlisted hence trying to trace the Surrey reg route.
University course was given up but this could have been after he came back from France.

croonaert
22-10-2006, 12:29 PM
On the age front he was born april 1899. .

In that case, if he hadn't already volunteered, he would have been expecting his call-up papers around April 1917. This would have been deferred until 1920 (if the war was still ongoing) because of his university course. To me, it looks as if he abandoned his university course and volunteered some time after April 1917.

(Incidentally, he could have joined the army in some capacity,( depending on his role) legally and not underage, at any time after April 1914, but "officially" couldn't be sent overseas until April 1918 (though the age dropped as the war progressed, and, by 1917, he could "legally" serve overseas at 18 years old (ie April 1917)

Have you checked out his service papers at Kew? These should have details of any service as a ranker.

Dave

PBaker
23-10-2006, 6:42 AM
I have not had the opportunity to get to Kew yet. I have been relying on family papers and A2A search.

If its not too much trouble, can I ask where to start to look for his service record at kew.

Also I cannot get rid of the duplication on the start to this thread.

with thanks

Peter Goodey
23-10-2006, 7:18 AM
can I ask where to start to look for his service record at kew.
These should get you started:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=6
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=18

Also I cannot get rid of the duplication on the start to this thread.Best to prepare messages of any length offline. The online editor is rubbish.