PDA

View Full Version : McColl(s) of Belterbet

nikkiwells
20-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Am searching for the parents of Harriet McColls born c 1824 in Belterbet, Northern Ireland. Does anyone know how to research the parish registers of this area? Also is it a mostly catholic area or very mixed in this period?
My ancestor married a member of the British Army so it is quite likely that she was protestant. I can find no record of a marriage in the GRO england and therefore need to look for a marriage in Ireland around 1842-46. By then the couple were living in London.

Nikki Wells

JNicLiam
21-10-2006, 7:14 AM
Am searching for the parents of Harriet McColls born c 1824 in Belterbet, Northern Ireland.

Did you mean the townland of BELTURBET in County Cavan in the Barony of Lower Loughtee and Civil Parish of Annagh in the province of Ulster? If so this is not in Northern Ireland (i.e. the UK part ) but in the North of Ireland - that is the Irish Republic. This difference is very significant when locating records.
The following is useful for info on records for Belturbet in Cavan http://www.sierratel.com/colinf/genuki/CAV/Annagh/Belturbet.html
Have a look at the link Belturbet in 1846 under the section History, to get a feel of the place at the time.

Have you any other reason for thinking her Protestant other than she married someone from the British Army? Many Irish Catholics also joined the British Army. If she was Catholic there is less liklihood of finding church records.

The mid 1840s in Ireland was the time of the Potato Famine a time of great upheaval. A million died with another million emigrating, many dieing on the so called "coffin ships" on route to a better future. The population in County Cavan dropped by 28% between 1841 and 1851.

Regards
Jill Williams
Researching COTTER Brosna Co Kerry and Glanworth Co Cork and Cork City
QUAID Cloncagh Co Limerick and Cork City
MURPHY Carrignavar, Co Cork
WILLIAMS Chester & West Derby
HARRISON Kingsley Cheshire

nikkiwells
30-12-2006, 6:43 PM
I am sorry that I have not responded until now but have only just returned online to this site. Thankyou for your info as this was very useful. I will check out the link you gave me.
I do not know she was definetely a Protestant I just assumed from her marrying a soldier and living in what I thought of as N. Ireland (the british part)!

Nikki

Mick196
25-04-2010, 3:53 PM
I have just discovered this thread and was rather hopeful of finding something or other of use but the link given by Jill appears to be either broken or out of use.
can anyone update the link for me?
Many thanks
Mick

Jan1954
25-04-2010, 4:03 PM
Hello Mick,

I am unable to update the link in the above post from Jill, but it appears that she was pointing you in the direction of the Belturbet page on GENUKI (http://home.wavecable.com/~colin/genuki/CAV/Annagh/Belturbet.html). I hope that this helps.