PDA

View Full Version : Mary PERRY, 1891, age 66c.

Lesleyguest
19-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Hello,

Looking for Mary PERRY, b. 1827, Hull, Yorkshire age 64c. on the 1891 census in Stockport, Cheshire.

In 1881 and 1901 she appears in Stockport, Cheshire, on Grimshaw? Street:

1901: Mary PERRY, age 74, b. Hull, Yorkshire
Minnie (Emma) PERRY age 38 b. Stockport
Amy PERRY, age 32, b. Stockport
Francis PERRY age 28 b. "

and on Union Street:

1881: John age 55, b. Stockport, Cheshire, Cotton Worker
Mary 55, b. Hull
Annie (Hannah) 21 "
Minnie 19 "
Sarah 15 ''
Amy 12 Stockport, Cheshire (b.1866)
Frank 8 "

Can't find her on the 1891 census. Thank you.

Lesley

Mutley
19-10-2006, 4:05 PM
Hello Lesley,
I am sorry I have no good news for you. I have searched on Ancestry for Mary and all of the children individually. It should be an easy one as Minnie is uncommon and they lived at home in 1881 and 1901. I have also tried Parry but nothing. I am thinking it could be a wrong surname transcription.

I have had the same problem with a family in 1891 so I have searched through the 1891 images for the street they lived in in 1881 and they had moved. Then I did the same for the 1901 street and found the enumerator had written "no person slept at this address on the census night"!

I do not know your area and am not sure how to look up Union Street or Grimshaw Street but maybe if you start another thread asking someone to look up who lived at the addresses in 1891. There maybe a kind person who has a directory.
Good Luck
Mutley

blue eyes
19-10-2006, 4:28 PM
Found the Perrys under the name of Terry on the 1891 census as follows:-

Cvil parish Brinnington, St. Paul, Cheshire, Reg dist Stockport, sub reg dist Stockport Second.

38 Nelson Street.

Household members:-

Mary Terry born Hull age 66
Ann Terry age 22
Francis Terry age 18
Minnie Terry age 29

Mutley
19-10-2006, 5:08 PM
Not my thread I know but....
well done Blue Eyes you are clever, I never thought of Terry!
Mutley

Lesleyguest
22-10-2006, 3:47 AM
Thank you.

...wonderful to see Mary and family on the 1891...under Terry and not Perry...i never would have got it myself...

...and by the way, she was the greatgrandma of Fred PERRY the tennis player who won Wimbledon in 1934c.

(...my line is also related to her, which is why i wanted to find her...)

Raphael
29-11-2006, 9:25 PM
Thank you.

...wonderful to see Mary and family on the 1891...under Terry and not Perry...i never would have got it myself...

...and by the way, she was the greatgrandma of Fred PERRY the tennis player who won Wimbledon in 1934c.

(...my line is also related to her, which is why i wanted to find her...)
Hi Lesley Quest,
Just reading your post re Fred Perry, which brought back memories.
When I came out of the Army 1949, and went onto the reserves.
My father was selling his old car 1936/7 Standard 1½ Litre SS Jaguar, which needed a lot of attention. The original owner of several others, was Fred Perry which was pointed out to me by my father. I paid no attention to this, it was eventually traded in after partial restoration for another later-old car.

Thinking about it now, If I had restored it and kept it and still had it ..Yes 1000 of £££ . I do not know where my Father b.1898, bought it.
We lived in Grappenhall Cheshire at the time where my father was Works Manager of Sankey Green Wire Weaving Co in Grappenhall, which was eventually moved to Thelwall Lane nr, Latchford Locks and the Company was taken over by the Greening Co Ltd.
Thanks for the memory
Kind Regards
Raphael UK & Germany

Lesleyguest
10-03-2008, 1:34 AM
Looking for information on Mary PERRY (MAIDEN?), born 1826c in Hull.

She was married in 1848c. to John PERRY, b. 1826c. Stockport, Cheshire. It seems John went to Hull from Stockport in the 1840's and met and married Mary.

The couple had several children: Samuel James Ainsworth, b. 1848 Hull, Alice, Walter, John, Mary, Hannah Eliza, Emma, born 1862 Stockport, Sarah, Ann and Frank. Cottom Mill Workers.

John and Mary seem to have later moved back to Stockport in the early 1860s, which is where my family came from for several generations.

John's parents were possibly a Joseph and Mary PERRY from Hansforth Cum Borden with children: Mary Ann, William, John, b. 1826c. (above), and Hannah, b. 1832. Silk Weavers.

Why would John have moved back and forth to Hull?

Regards, Lesley

uksearch
10-03-2008, 7:28 PM
SNIP
John's parents were possibly a Joseph and Mary PERRY from Hansforth Cum Borden with children: Mary Ann, William, John, b. 1826c. (above), and Hannah, b. 1832. Silk Weavers.

Why would John have moved back and forth to Hull?

Regards, Lesley

I would think that the above place name should be Handforth cum Bosden which until 1877 was part of the Cheadle Parish.

UK

Lesleyguest
11-03-2008, 2:03 PM
Yes it should be Handforth cum Bosden.

I think the PERRY family might have moved from Handforth cum Bosden as Silk Weavers towards Stockport and the Cotton Mills.

Later on, relatives from "Bredbury" would visit the family in Stockport. Bredbury might be near Handforth cum Bosden?

I misread Handforth cum Bosden from the 1841 census, as I am not very familiar with the area names and locations yet.

Thanks,

Lesley

Lesleyguest
11-03-2008, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the 1936 car memory!

uksearch
11-03-2008, 4:58 PM
It's about 9 miles from the centre of Handforth to the centre of Bredbury.

UK

Lesleyguest
12-03-2008, 4:22 PM
...thanks for the Bredbury information...some of the family's more distant relatives..."a Mr. and Mrs. LOWE, with a daughter Marjorie"...seem to have lived in Bredbury and would visit my grandad PERRY, b. 1905 in Stockport.

...there may be a connection with the Joseph PERRY, b. 1786c. on 1841 census, (wife Mary, Ann, William, John, b. 1825c. and Hannah) living in Handforth cum Bosden and the John PERRY, b. 1825c. Stockport, (my grandad's grandad).

John, b.1825 went to Hull for a while in the 1840s and married Mary AINSWORTH, b. 1829c., Hull before returning to Stockport in the 1860's.

...there is a marriage of a John PERRY and Mary AINSWORTH in Sculcoates in September 1847...

...their first son, is listed as Samuel AINSWORTH b. 1848...on the 1871 census...

...Mary AINSWORTH born Hull 1829c. is unclear on the IGI though...

...Regards, Lesley

frithy
01-09-2008, 3:44 PM
Fred Perry lived on Carrington Road, Portwood Stockport. Carrington Rd continues on to Stockport Road which is Bredbury. theres a plaque out side his house.
Bosden Handforth is more near to Hazel Grove Stockport.

Yes it should be Handforth cum Bosden.

I think the PERRY family might have moved from Handforth cum Bosden as Silk Weavers towards Stockport and the Cotton Mills.

Later on, relatives from "Bredbury" would visit the family in Stockport. Bredbury might be near Handforth cum Bosden?

I misread Handforth cum Bosden from the 1841 census, as I am not very familiar with the area names and locations yet.

Thanks,

Lesley