PDA

View Full Version : Would there be any form of enquiry?

martync
18-10-2006, 10:52 AM
My Uncle was a member of the bomb disposal unit of the RAF and was killed in some sort of accident when clearing an airfield at Eindhoven in Holland at the end of March 1945. Would there have been any sort of enquiry about what happened? I don't think my Dad ever actually found out what happened. My Uncle was not married and my grandparents are no longer alive so I guess my father would be next of kin and then my brother and I. If there is any sort of report would I be able to get it without my father requesting it, if there was anything I think I'd prefer to see it first as my father was close to his brother and I would not show it to him if it gave any details that were distressing or any blame attached to him. I know my father was interested to know because he sent for his RAF records but that just states that he was transferred from the base to a local hospital where he died of his wounds. If anyone can make any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
Martyn

Neil Wilson
18-10-2006, 5:25 PM
There might have been a board of inquiry during peacetime, but at that time I would assume it would be classed 'one of the hazards of the job'

Now there are still bomb disposal units in the RAF, try these links and if you write to them they might hold some records themselves.
http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafwittering/lodger.html
http://www.rafbdhistory.co.uk/index.htm
good luck

martync
18-10-2006, 8:02 PM
Hello Neil

Thanks for the information I suspect you are right and it may well have just been put down as a hazard of the job, he was due to be going home on leave the next day. He was 20 years old, it's frightening to think he was younger than my youngest child. I know Dad thinks he would like to know but as I said in my previous message I want to keep quite about it until I see any material in case there is something that would cause him unnecessary upset, he was close to his brother. I think he has just about accepted he will never know so it could be just as well to leave it there.

Thanks again
Martyn

martync
08-12-2006, 11:04 AM
I was speaking to my father again this morning and he said there was an enquiry and he had in fact got in touch with an officer who had been part of it. This person said he would try to get my father some information but unfortunately he died a few weeks later and the trail went cold. I think I need to contact the RAF to see who would now hold these records and see if we can gain access to them. I hope if we do that Dad will let me look at them first and then pass on the information that he wants but leave out anything that would be too upsetting to him.