PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence HOOPER- Royal navy Reserve

Terry
17-10-2006, 1:52 PM
I am trying to find out about the mysterious early life of my grandfather,Lawrence Hooper.
I know he was born in Torquay on 1st January 1883, have found him in the 1891 census without problem. Now its from here on that the problem starts
- have found what I think is his naval record for the period 1898 to 1903, he put his age on and gave his date of birth as 1st January 1880 but said he was born in Torquay, he never left Plymouth, but served at three shore bases-Vivid 2, Impregnable & vivid 1. I think I have found him in the 1901 census, but whilst the age fits his false age, the birthplace is down as Winsor, Surrey.
According to our local newspaper he joined up in 1914 as Royal Navy reserve.
A question comes to mind- is the number on the top of his earlier record (356516) his service number and if so would he have used this number when he re-enlisted?
I understand that RNR records are on microfiche at National Archives in BT 377, listed both by service number and that there is also an alphabetical index. Is any body going to Kew who could have a look for me please to see if he's there? I can't get there unfortunately, but would willingly pay reasonable expenses

SueL
17-10-2006, 8:46 PM
Hi Terry,

I'll be going to Kew the saturday after next and will give this a try for you, if you'd like?

You've said:
"- have found what I think is his naval record for the period 1898 to 1903"

Can I ask from what source? Is this from the Naval records online at the PRO website? If it is, I've a feeling this may be the same as the BT 377 docs...not sure so am just buzzing off for a look now...

sueL

SueL
17-10-2006, 8:51 PM
oops!wrong!! (check brain in gear before opening mouth!)

You've probably looked at the ADM188 record on line, yes? OK then, I'll have a nosey at BT 377 and see what's there...

Will get back to you,
Regards,
sueL

Terry
17-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi SueL, very many thanks, you're right I did get the early record online and it is from ADM188. Thanks again. My 84 year old mother is longing to solve the mystery of her father's early life.

SueL
18-10-2006, 1:13 PM
Hello Terry,
No probs - I'm just sorry I won't be able to get there before Saturday week :(

Will keep in touch...
sueL

Terry
18-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi SueL, no problem with the time at all, I'm just very grateful for your offer to look at it for me.
Terry

SueL
28-10-2006, 9:27 PM
Hi Terry,

Bad news, I'm afraid :(

I searched BT 377 and, as it is divided into "before 1922" and "after 1922", I decided to search both: BT 377/3 & BT 377/15 showed no Lawence Hooper at all.

I also checked out ADM 171/121, the naval medal roll for RNR ratings - but no joy there, either. There were about 20 Hooper's but no Lawrence.

I then decided to have a look at ADM 337 which is described as being a record of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Here, the records are divided into Divisions and there were dozens and dozens! If I'd have had my sleeping bag with me......

I am so sorry Terry, I really don't know where else to look. If anyone can come up with any other suggestions, I'll gladly give it a go?

sueL

Terry
28-10-2006, 10:09 PM
SueL, very many thanks for looking for me|hug|. It's a complete mystery where he was or what he was doing:confused:
He's not on the soldiers WW1 medal roll either.

Now come on Granpy! what did you do in the war?

Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.