PDA

View Full Version : John Whiting

Fiona67
16-10-2006, 2:20 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am looking for John Whiting m Elizabeth (Swain ?) in the 1770's in Freiston. All I know is that their daughter Betsy was born in about 1781 in Freiston. I would really appreciate the help

Fiona

Pam Downes
16-10-2006, 8:30 PM
Hi Fiona,
The Lincolnshire FHS marriage index for Holland East 1700-1837 has the marriage of John Whiting and Elizabeth Swain taking place in Skirbeck (St Nicholas) in 1779.
A submitted entry on the IGI gives a date of 25th September 1778 also in Skirbeck, so you will need to refer to the parish register for the correct date, though I suspect that LFHS have the correct year.
Unless someone has already researched this family I would say that it's down to searching the PRs for Skirbeck, Freiston, and all points inbetween, as well as north, south, east, and west.
The IGI and the NBI may well give you pointers, and I find the marriage indexes published by the LFHS an absolute boon. (Though to be truthful, I consider everything published by LFHS to be a 'must' to buy if it covers an area where I have ancestors :) )
LFHS are in the process of publishing baptisms and burials 1754-1812, but I think it will be a couple of years before they get to Holland East deanery which is the one which might help you.
Pam