PDA

View Full Version : ? Best way to find c1821 Glasgow birth please.

MARION/P
14-10-2006, 4:31 PM
James Gamble born in Glasgow in c1821. He left Scotland and married [1846]
also died [1874;52yrs] in Sculcoates, Drypool, Hull. Also ? would the wedding
certificate of James and his wife Jane Wilkinson show in full his birthplace
and that of his parents. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Marion

arthurk
14-10-2006, 7:49 PM
If he married in Hull, his marriage certificate would give his occupation and residence at the time of the marriage, but not his place of birth. It should also give his father's name and occupation (although people who didn't know who their fathers were tend to have a blank space here), but no places connected with the father.

Census returns for 1851 and later should give James's place of birth - or is this where you have found the Glasgow reference? However, where the birthplace is in Scotland, sometimes that's all that an English census records, rather than the exact place.

Good luck,
Arthur

joette
17-10-2006, 9:54 AM
JAMES GIMBEL
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 16 AUG 1812 Abbey (Paisley), Renfrew, Scotland

Parents:
Father: JOHN GIMBEL Family
Mother: HELLEN BELL
Abbey is in Paisley which is part of Glasgow.This is the only birth I could see on the IGI.I know the timing is a bit out but....
What if any were his children named?Scottish families tended to follow the naming pattern of 1Eldest son paternal Grandfather.
2 Eldest Daughter maternal Grandmother.
3-2nd Son Mother's Father et al.4 2nd Daughter Father's Mother.
Not written in stone but is sometimes a good indicator.
To check for any further info I would head for a FHC & check the film for Abbey-most LDS FHC should have Abbey as it is such an important Parish.

MARION/P
18-10-2006, 1:15 PM
Thanks Arthur, it was the 1851 census that gave his place of birth as Scotland and what
looks like Glasgow. Census place; parish of Drypool, Kingston Upon Hull. Living at
Garden Place, James Gamble his wife Jane and five children. Ref; H.O.107/2360

Kind regards

Marion

MARION/P
18-10-2006, 1:40 PM
Sorry about delay in replying server was busy each time. Thanks Joette the age is as you say.
1851 census gives his age as 30yrs, and it does look like Glasgow next to
Scotland as his birthplace. Re-naming, James and Janes chidren, Jane E 1847, George
1848, twins James and Joseph Rhodes 1851, Julia 1855, Mathew 1859, James T 1861.
Both twins died [1854 & 1855] the middle name of 'Rhodes' was Josephs mum's mothers
maiden name.

Kind regards

Marion

arthurk
18-10-2006, 6:27 PM
I agree that the 1851 entry probably means Glasgow (though it looks like "Glascow"). However, I'm not too sure about the possible link to Paisley. I know it's close to Glasgow - so close that someone in England probably wouldn't care about the difference - but I once heard that nowadays people from Paisley are very keen to point out that they are not from Glasgow. Might this have been the case 150 years ago as well? I think you'll have to see if James's marriage certificate sheds any light on this - as I said, it won't give his place of birth, but it should name his father, and with any luck it might give you some interesting witnesses to investigate.

Arthur

MARION/P
19-10-2006, 1:05 PM
Thanks again Arthur you'v been most helpful, much appreciated.

Marion

arthurk
19-10-2006, 4:37 PM
Hi Marion

Do you have anything on James in the 1841 Census? I remembered that Ancestry have an index (only) to the 1841 Scotland census so had a look there, but didn't see him. I also checked all Gambles in 1841 England, born in Scotland, and the most likely was in Hyde Park Barracks, a Private in the "R.H. Gds" (Royal Horse Guards?). Does that ring any bells?

Arthur

joette
20-10-2006, 10:49 AM
"about the possible link to Paisley".Agree that as a Bankie I am not a Wegie either but some people especially if he moved away fairly young would give the nearest big City as their Birthplace.
When I am asked where are you from "Clydebank" usually a blank expression"near Glasgow" comprehension dawns.
So I would not discount the Abbey Christening & remember that he may have been christened/born there but lived Glasgow most of his life!

MARION/P
20-10-2006, 2:51 PM
Arthur, no I have nothing on James before the 1851 census, thanks very much for
looking for me. ? did it give the age of Private James Gamble at all. All I know is he
married 1846 and on the 1851 census his age was cited as 30yrs. I really appreciate
your efforts on my behalf in trying to trace my 'elusive James' .

Marion

MARION/P
20-10-2006, 2:57 PM
Joette, I really appreciate your efforts on my behalf and at this stage I certainly would
not discount any possible links until I have evidence to discount it. Thank you.

Marion

arthurk
20-10-2006, 6:26 PM
did it give the age of Private James Gamble at all. All I know is he married 1846 and on the 1851 census his age was cited as 30yrs.
It gave his age as 21 - according to the instructions for 1841 this should have been rounded down to 20, but everyone on that particular page (other soldiers) seemed to have an exact age.

Just a bit more on the 1841 for Scotland - there weren't very many Gamble entries, and a lot of the ones there were seemed to come from Ireland.

Arthur

MARION/P
21-10-2006, 4:10 PM
Thankyou Arthur, the age ties in it could be him ? As for the mention of Ireland, my
mother has always been of the opinion that the Gamble family originated from there
and was surprised when it was discovered James was born in Scotland.

Marion

Sunpat
11-09-2007, 6:50 PM
Arthur said

"However, I'm not too sure about the possible link to Paisley. I know it's close to Glasgow - so close that someone in England probably wouldn't care about the difference - but I once heard that nowadays people from Paisley are very keen to point out that they are not from Glasgow. Might this have been the case 150 years ago as well?".

As a Paisley resident, 'though not a 'Buddie', I usually say, somewhat like Joette - "I'm from Paisley it's near Glasgow" and throw in "it's where Glasgow Airport's located"

Sunpat