PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Info on Framptons

francisp
13-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello there from New Zealand.

I've been trying to research my family but it's quite hard from 12,000 miles away.

I have to rely mainly on the on-line censuses and BDM records so can't go back that far.

My grandfather's grandfather's mother was Ellen Frampton b Longham, Hampreston, Dorset 1826. She married Henry Corbin at Milton in 1848.

Her parents were possibly John b 1781 and Rachel b 1793 in the 1841 census at Longham. John & Rachel "not born in county".

John Frampton "of this parish" (but doesn't mean he was born there) married Rachel Cheater (of Fordingbridge) 4th Feb 1813 at Hampreston.

The family had and continued to have a long association with Hampreston. I note that in 1901 one of Ellen's grandsons, James Corbin, is back living at Longham with his wife and family.

Don't have too much more (except I went to school with a Frampton in Christchurch before my family emigrated to NZ !)

Any help is much appreciated !

Thanks

Francis

historynut
14-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Francis you may find this site helpful.

http://www.dorset-opc.com/HamprestonFiles/HamprestonBaptism.htm

You will see that John and Rachel had several children baptised in Hampreston and Ellen is in the register as HELEN b 1825.

I have a couple of Ellen's from Hampreston in my family and they were both baptised as HELEN.

I think the Curate was under the impression that our ancestors were not speaking the Queen's English and dropping their *h*'s!! ;)

. . . . . Vicar - "What name do you give this child?" . . . . . - country accent ag lab - "Ellen" . . . . . "
Vicar - with the emphasis on the letter *h* - I baptise this child Helen" . . . . . |laugh1|

Hope this helps.

Tracy

Peter Goodey
14-10-2006, 7:34 AM
I've been trying to research my family but it's quite hard from 12,000 miles away.
More difficult perhaps but not insuperable.

For example, I know the Mormons have a presence because I've just checked. There seem to be 30 or 40 Mormon Family History Centres in NZ. That means you have very bit as much access to filmed records as many people in this country.

Also, a good quantity of data ia available to buy on fiche or CD from many suppliers including, dare I mention it, the owners of the very system you're using!

francisp
17-10-2006, 1:23 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yes Tracy, I'm working on that theory ! I also have some "Hannah's" who were baptised as "Anna" so the other way round.

And Peter, yes, I'll go back to that avenue as well. Just recall that several years ago I did do some research at a local LDS centre and after several visits gave up because of restrictive hours and time limits when you eventually were allowed access !

Perhaps things have changed.

Francis

Peter Goodey
17-10-2006, 7:39 AM
Perhaps things have changed.
I don't know about that ;) . I've hit the same problem myself but I only use them as a last resort.