PDA

View Full Version : Service Record ?

garom
13-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Folks,
Having received the death certificate of my gfather’s brother, WILLIAM ARTHUR BROWN, rather than helping things, it has made them worse ! The certificate states that he died in the Croydon Mental Hospital, Chelsham on the 3rd Sept 1918 and that his occupation was “of Union Infirmary, Croydon U.D. ex Royal Marine.” Prior to him being in the Croydon Mental Hospital, Chelsham he was a patient at the Royal Naval Hospital, Chatham. He was transferred to Croydon in 1904. I have also found a William Brown, will all the right criteria on the 1901 census. This puts him stationed at Aldershot Barracks with, the Army Service Corps. What I want to know if how I can find out about detail of his service/s and how he got into hospital. He is proving to be VERY elusive ! I would appreciate any help whatsoever on this problem…..before I’m recorded as ‘ committing suicide whilst of unsound mind !’
TIA - garom

Geoffers
13-10-2006, 1:39 PM
Service Records are held at TNA. See their research guides which will give you an idea of what is available.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1

Click on 'R' and look for links prefixed 'Royal Marines'.

If you want to find out about Army Service Records, click on 'B' and look at those links prefixed 'British Army'

Geoffers

garom
13-10-2006, 4:54 PM
Thank you very much for your help - garom