PDA

View Full Version : 1851 lookup carlisle

audrey
13-10-2006, 10:42 AM
HI all
I do not have acccess to any census and I would like to find this family from 1841

1841 Census Botchergate
JOHN SEWELL age 55 cotton weaver head
MARY SEWELL age 55 wife [formaly Robinson]
WILLIAM SEWELL age 30 labourer
SARAH SEWELL age 25 " "
Mary SEWELL age 25 " "
JOHN SEWELL age 15 cotton Spinner [ is this my great granfather]
Mary age 6 mths
I can not find John Sewell c 1826 or Mary Sewell c 1840 on the IGI

thank you

audrey

Sharron
13-10-2006, 4:10 PM
I do not have acccess to any census...Not strictly true, Audrey, as http://www.familysearch.org will give you access to transcripts of the 1881 Census for England and Wales.

And, for a limited time, ancestry is giving free access to the indeces for the 1901 Census for England and Wales, though I am unsure as to the criteria for accessing those. They may require you to sign up, and then cancel after the free index offer has expired.

I'm endeavouring to find your family on the 1851, but not much luck at the moment. It could be a spelling issue. However, it does bear mentioning that the ages on the 1841 Census cannot be relied upon.

The ages of people over 15 years old were usually rounded down to the nearest 5 years. Therefore, someone who was actually 24 years would have their age listed as 20, and someone who was actually 27 years old would have their age listed as 25.Hope this helps

audrey
14-10-2006, 9:00 AM
Sharron
thanks for your reply Yes I have seen the 1881
I need to find them in 1851 I have checked the IGI I can find the marriage of John and Mary Robinson, I can also find William ,Mary & Sarahs birth which all tally with 1841 census but I can not find a birth for John Sewell c 1826 [age 15 in 1841 I believe this to be John Sewell who married a Mary Douglas c 1852 although I have never found a marriage for them,by 1861 John Sewell and Mary were still living in Botchergate with two sons, James born 1853 & John born 1857 I am trying to find if my John Sewell is the same John on the 1841 census [father John mother Mary Robinson ]or is he a grand child along with the Mary aged 6 mths

audrey

Ambler
13-12-2006, 1:20 PM
Hi Audrey.. the 1851 Census still has them living in Botchersgate

John Head 69 years cotton weaver
Mary wife 68yrs wife of cotton weaver born Wigton
William son 41yr Carlisle
Sarah Widow 36yrs Carlise
Joseph Grand son 9yrs

No signs of John or the 2 Marys seems strange to have had to daughters
named Mary pherhaps the one that was 6 months in 1841 was a Grand daughter and her mother was the other Mary whom in 1851 would have been
35yrs only my thoughts on the

there are plenty of johns in the 1851 census as well around the dob,for 1825-28,,strangley there is one abt1828 in what looks like no3 Bradys court
Botchersgate with his wife Jane aged 25yrs again could be ???

shows Sarah as A widow but dosent show her married name
now that puts her born around 1815 if that the case do any of these names fall in to place,, Tindall Nicholson reason for this is i can find who i think to be part of this Family in 1861 but again Sarah sticks with the Name of Sewell
and is shown as wife to daniel Sewell some 20yrs older than her with Step children called tindell He was a lead Miner,,
I am a very happy to help at any time hope this little bit helps
if you can afford it ancestory .com for a fee of £9 a month allows access to all the census up to 1901