PDA

View Full Version : Ezeala CARTER

Davran
09-10-2006, 6:08 PM
I'm looking for Ezeala Carter who married John TAMPLIN in Slinfold 23 September 1841. I've been trying to find her on the 1841 census via Ancestry, but no luck despite trying several possible variations - ezilla, zillah, ezeela, ez*la, ezcula, efeala, azeala and even creala. Does anyone have any further suggestions for mistranscriptions?

John Tamplin was in Slinfold in 1841 without any family and there is only one other Carter living there, so it looks as if they both came from somewhere else.

Annie
09-10-2006, 6:37 PM
On the 1861 census the name is transcribed as Zellah Tamplin born Surrey:
RG9; Piece: 438; Folio: 123; Page: 7

Do you have the marriage cert.? What are the father's names?

Davran
09-10-2006, 10:46 PM
No, Annie, we don't have the cert. This is just idle curiosity really. John and Ezeala's daughter Zillah married the brother of one of my sister-in-law's ancestors and I'm just pursuing the line as far back as I can without forking out any extra money!

I was curious about the first name Ezeala as I haven't come across it before - there don't seem to be many listed on Ancestry at all.

Thanks for the 1861 reference, I'll have a look at that, too.:)

TeresaE
10-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi,

On both the 1861 and 1851 census Zillah is recorded as being born in Shere, Surrey.

This is the 1851 reference for Zillah and her husband and family:
HO107/1597 Folio 514 Page 23 - she is indexed as Lilla Tamplen but is Zilla on the image.

In 1841 I can only find one possible match.

This is Lillah Carter, 1821 Sussex - she is Zillah on the actual image. Have a look and see what you think.
HO107/1096/1 Folio 8 Page 9 Horsham

Although she is recorded as being born in Sussex this may just be as the family entered her as they were all born Sussex. She is working for this family who live in Itchingfield, Horsham which is only a stone's throw from Slinford where her future husband is living.Her birthplace of Shere is not that far away, either.

Pity she isn't with her parents on the 1841.

Regards, TeresaE :)

TeresaE
10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Just to finish off there is this entry on FamilySearch. It is an extracted record so should be accurate

Zillah Carter
Christening: 18 NOV 1821 Shere, Surrey, England
Parents:
Father: JAMES CARTER
Mother: JANE

TeresaE