PDA

View Full Version : Brea(r)ley family of Newhall

Cymraes38
10-11-2004, 11:49 AM
I had posted my family tree on genes reuinited, I had a note from someone descended from the same branch of the family who were nearly all miners from Newhall. The problem is that we have different parents for the couple in question.
I had John Brealey (1712) and Ann Nadin (1703) as the parents of the John Brealey (1749) who married Eleanor Grundy (1745).
Thomas has John's parents as William Brealey (1725) and Mary Bethel (1725).
Which of us is correct, does anyone know? I would be very glad if you could check this out, I do not know where to look for this information. Thank you for reading this,

Brett
11-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Dear Cymraes38,

I have this family in my database of Newhall families, but I don't know if I'm going to be of much use to you. I have the following:

- John BREARLEY m. 1 Oct 1769 Stapenhill Eleanor/Elinor/Ellen GRUNDY

They had nine children between 1770 and 1785. I have this John BREARLEY (I have used the version of the surname containing a second R as my standardised version, but BREALEY is just as valid/common) as having been baptised at Stapenhill on 10 May 1742, the son of John BREALEY and Ann NADIN. However, I can't give you a justification for why I have him and not the other!

The entry in thyle="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">They had nine children between 1770 and 1785. I have this John BREARLEY (I have used the version of the surname containing a second R as my standardised version, but BREALEY is just as valid/common) as having been baptised at Stapenhill on 10 May 1742, the son of John BREALEY and Ann NADIN. However, I can't give you a justification for why I have him and not the other!

The entry in the IGI for this John's baptism shows him also being buried, on 8 Apr 1847. If this is correct, then I guess the other John must be the one who married Eleanor GRUNDY. However, these are records submitted by an LDS church member from their own research, and should be treated with some caution. I don't see the 1749 entry which you mention on the IGI, so it's difficult to know which is correct. It really would be necessary to check the original parish registers, but these are in the Derbyshire Record Office at Matloce IGI for this John's baptism shows him also being buried, on 8 Apr 1847. If this is correct, then I guess the other John must be the one who married Eleanor GRUNDY. However, these are records submitted by an LDS church member from their own research, and should be treated with some caution. I don't see the 1749 entry which you mention on the IGI, so it's difficult to know which is correct. It really would be necessary to check the original parish registers, but these are in the Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock, and have not been filmed by the LDS.

Sorry not to be more definitive, but it looks like your contact may be correct. Perhaps you would be able to check the records at Matlock some time?

Regards and best wishes,

Cymraes38
11-11-2004, 6:18 PM
Hi Brett,
Thanks for your help.