PDA

View Full Version : Wartime marriages

chopendoz
02-10-2006, 3:54 PM
I managed to trace some details of my uncle Walter POTTER who served with the Ox & Bucks and died at Dunkirk. From there, the War Graves Commission gave me not only the exact date of death but also a hitherto undisclosed spouse. She is listed as Florence Adelaide POTTER of Colchester, Essex and although I can find a possible death record, (Florence Ade POTTER, died in Jan 1986 aged 68 (DOB 8 May 1917)), I cannot find any record of a marriage - nor her birth if it comes to that. I am wondering what was the situation in WW II when soldiers married. Could they have been married by the Regimental chaplain on the eve of the Dunkirk operation? In haste because she was pregnant? to get his pay and allowances? Any ideas?

Geoffers
02-10-2006, 6:01 PM
1837online a pay-per-view site has indexes to army marriages up to about 1955-ish. If you find an entry you can order certificates via the GRO.

Or, could they have married in Scotland?

Geoffers

peter nicholl
02-10-2006, 8:16 PM
March Quarter 1940, Colchester 4a 2997; Walter Potter married Florence A Palmer

March Quarter 1917, Lewisham 1d 1768; Florence A Palmer birth; Mother's maiden name- Evans

No Florence A registered April to June.
HTH
Peter
PS You could look for births for the rest of 1940, Potter, Mother's maiden name Palmer and draw your own conclusions.
P

chopendoz
03-10-2006, 8:52 PM
Thank you!