PDA

View Full Version : NSW Police Gazette lookup 1908 please?

ChristineR
01-10-2006, 4:49 AM
.... update - I now have this information thank you.

I am hoping someone has easy access to the 1908 NSW Police Gazette.

I would like the information given about Robert HOLLAND, page 260. He is listed in the index (from the online sample from ArchiveCD books Australia - part of a 5 gazette combo, beyond my means to purchase).

I know from his Navy record that he deserted at Auckland, New Zealand. I am particularly interested in any description given of his tattoos.

thankyou
ChristineR
Australia

Melissa Jones
03-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Christine,

I'll be popping over to the National Library today so I'll have a look and see if I can find anything.

Melissa

ChristineR
04-10-2006, 2:39 AM
many thanks Melissa

:) Christine

Melissa Jones
04-10-2006, 6:01 AM
Hi Christine,

I had a brief look at the resources held at the National Library over lunch but couldn't find the right edition for the gazette. I'm planning on spending a bit more time there this weekend so I'll have another go at finding it then.

Melissa

ChristineR
05-10-2006, 3:43 AM
Hi Melissa

I had a look at the online catalogue, and see it is on microfilm. That really seems a lot of bother so please do not worry about it! I'm hoping to get to the State Library here in Vic sometime, and there would be an entry in our Police Gazette as well.

I was just hoping that there was someone who had the cd at home - wont know if I do not ask. I've got my eye on puchasing the 1864 Victoria Police Gazette that ArchiveCD Books has produced, so dont want to get both.

thanks again
Christine

Melissa Jones
05-10-2006, 5:03 AM
Hi Christine,

There are quite a number of police gazettes held at the National Library so it can be a bit of a search finding the right one. However, I'll still have a look at it anyway this weekend since I'm doing some other research there. I'm actually quite curious to look at the gazette since I've never read one before.

Melissa

ChristineR
05-10-2006, 9:04 AM
Hi again Melissa,

if it is the Mitchell library that you are going to then I now see that they do have the cdrom after all, but might be hard to get if someone else has it, unless they have multiple copies.

Identity CD-ROM
CALL #MAV/ DISC10/ 442
LocationMitchell Library
WE HOLD1891-1910
Status Book at Information Desk
PublishedModbury, S. Aust. : Archive CD Books Australia, c2006-

ArchiveCDBooks Australia has samples - this page gives a full rundown on what you can find. This particular cd is just under $200 normal price though on special at the moment. I think the year range at the library covers a couple of sets. (I have no affiliation with them, starting to sound like a sales person :) but they are the same excellent quality and service as from Rod)

Christine

Melissa Jones
05-10-2006, 10:17 AM
Hi Christine,

I'm actually going to the National Library in Canberra. When I popped over there a couple of days ago, the librarians were quite busy so I undertook a quick search myself. There were a couple of editions of the NSW Police Gazette but I couldn't find the 1908 edition. Hopefully things will be a bit quieter on the weekend so I'll ask one of the librarians whether there is a 1908 edition "hidden" there.

Melissa

Melissa Jones
18-10-2006, 2:34 PM
Hi Christine,

Sorry for my late reply but I've been so busy recently. I went back to the National Library but still couldn't find the edition you were after. I'm thinking the CDs at the Mitchell library are perhaps the best way to view the records if you're ever in the area. Perhaps the Victorian state library could arrange for something?

Melissa

ChristineR
19-10-2006, 7:02 AM
Many thanks Melissa - the same information will be in the Victorian Police Gazettes, I'll look them up when I next get to the Vic State Library. It has been a few years now since I've been and have quite a list of 'to do's.

thanks again, it is much appreciated.
ChristineR

ChristineR
06-09-2007, 7:40 AM
Just an update to this thread - I now have the information that I seek. I was able to purchase the cdrom, just the single year after all.

No mention of tattoos on grand dad, so perhaps he didn't have them yet. Had the scar over left eye though! and a reward of 3 pounds.

Christine :)