PDA

View Full Version : Army Cyclists Corps WW1

Pippakit
27-09-2006, 6:33 AM
Does anyone know anything about the Army Cyclists Corp? A relative of mine was in the 17th Cyclist Battalion, and I would be interested to know exactly what they did. Some people have been amused by the idea of bicycles being used in the war, but I have also been told that they were involved in relaying messages along the lines, dangerous work. My relative was a Dispatch Rider, so this seems to indicate that was indeed the case.

Thank you.
PippaK

AnnB
27-09-2006, 7:42 AM
I dob't know anything about the Cycling Battalions - but I know a man who does :)

Take a look at Martyn Smith's site. I know he is primarily interested in the Huntingdon Cyclist's Battalion, but I'm sure the site will point you in the right direction.

Best wishes
Ann

Peter Goodey
27-09-2006, 8:12 AM
Does anyone know anything about the Army Cyclists Corp?
The first place to look for general information is the "regiments" website.

Try http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/cyclist.htm

welshladyj
24-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Dear pippakit,

I don't even know if u still registered but would love 2 know if u ever managed 2 find info on the 17th division army cycle company army cyclist corp, as I am researching my grandfather Pte Charles Levi Acland who also belonged 2 this corp and have come up against a brick wall trying 2 find any service records where they fought during the war. My grandfather was awarded the military medal whilst serving with the cyclist and I have that information but if u can help me any further I would be truely grateful.

leamington
02-04-2009, 2:09 PM
Some information on the 17th Divisional Cyclist Company of the Army Cyclist Corps on this page (http://www.1914-1918.net/17div.htm). In mid 1916 the cyclist companies were pulled out of the Divisions and placed under Corps command. They get a bit harder to trace but the Company's war diary is at the National Archives if you want real detail.

Browneyes
02-04-2009, 6:01 PM
Wikipedia (search Bicycle infantry) has general info Welshladyj.

Bikes played a crucial part during both world wars.