PDA

View Full Version : William Henry King b Birmingham 1826

Clive Blackaby
10-11-2004, 12:52 AM
I am trying to find further information on the early years of my great grandfather William Henry King, who was born in Birmingham in 1826. Not exactly the most unusual name in the kingdom, nor one of those nice cosy village communities where everyone knew everyone else (and was probably related to most of them) but I hope maybe S.K.S. will be able to give me some pointers.

According to family record and censuses he was born in Birmingham, the only child of David King, ca 1826. (from 1881 census, Hertford)

William, a.k.a. Harry, was in the British Army during the Crimean War of 1854-1856. He enlisted in the 10th Light Dragoons in 1846 and was stationed at the Military Barracks in Maidstone, Kent. From that point onwards, his life is reasonably well documented (Military records, birth certs. of all 13 children, censuses etc.).

Prior to that, the only reference I, or any other member of the family, have been able to find to a William King, son of David King, born in the Birmingham area at about the right time, is a baptism in Smethwick on 23 April 1826, mother’s name Sarah, and for a while we were convinced that this was he.

However, there is an 1881 census record for a William King born Smethwick 1826 which gives the lie to this.

Also this William apparently had a brother Solomon and a sister Hannah, whilst my mother recalls that her grandfather William made a lot of the fact that both he and his wife - Eliza Jones :rolleyes: - were only children.