PDA

View Full Version : HMS Fratton

Karen Mapp
25-09-2006, 8:35 PM
I have just found out that my great grandfather died in 1944 whilst serving on this ship. Can anyone point me in the direction of any information on what he would have been doing as a stoker and info/pictures on the HMS Fratton? Thankyou.

busyglen
26-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Karen,

Have found this link which gives information on the u-boat that sank HMS Fratton, and a few technical details, but not a lot I'm afraid.

http://uboat.net/types/marder.htm

There is also someone else looking for survivors (of which I believe there were some) on a noticeboard. If you do a Google search for HMS Fratton WW2 ships, you may find some other information that may help.

Glenys

Val Crisp
01-01-2007, 2:56 PM
Hi Karen

I have gained a lot of information about the Fratton. My father, William John Wallace, was also lost in August 44.

I have now found out through a survivor excactly where and when it happened and that there is a Cemetery in Normandy with 2 named headstones which I never knew about. I also now have a photo of the ship.

I have e-mailed you privately and would be really really pleased if you could contact me on my e-mail which is: [email protected]. as it is likely that my father would have known or worked alongside your great grandather.

I really hope you receive my message.

Best wishes

Val Crisp (nee Wallace)