PDA

View Full Version : Weslyan Methodists

barbara anne
09-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Hi I am new to genealogy so forgive my ignorance. I am trying to trace ancestors of my great grandparents, Mary Brown from Launcells and Christopher Little from Cumberland, they married in a Weslyan Methodist chapel in London, 1867.
Would they both have to have been WMs? I know nothing about the rules for WMs.
I have not yet been able to trace Mary anywhere apart from the marriage certificate and census after marriage. Her year of birth ranges from 1839 to 1844.
I would be grateful for any advice.
Barbara

mary elms
23-06-2005, 2:38 PM
Would they both have to have been WMs?

Hello Barbara,

As far as I remember I think the answer is probably -

"Not necessarily, though it's quite likely that they were."

However, I'm not 100% sure about that. Have you got any further with this since November?

Mary.

Scottie
23-06-2005, 3:52 PM
Hi I am new to genealogy so forgive my ignorance. I am trying to trace ancestors of my great grandparents, Mary Brown from Launcells and Christopher Little from Cumberland, they married in a Weslyan Methodist chapel in London, 1867.
BarbaraHello Barbara,
I had a look in the 1841 census for you and there is a Mary Brown aged 3 with her parents at Hobbacott Down Cottage, Launcells(Ref HO107/151/5/7). The parents are Charles Brown aged 39, a carpenter and Eliza aged 38. There are also Thomas 13, William 9, Jane 6 & James 1. This is probably Charles Brown and Eliza Bray married 8 May 1823 in Marhamchurch and I would expect there to be older children out at work.

barbara anne
11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Hello Scottie,

I am so sorry, I did not know you had replied to my query as I have not been into the forum for a long time due other committments. However I had a message to tell me that someone else had sent a message to me and she is a descendant of one of Mary's brothers which is exciting. Subsequently I have come back to the forum and discovered your message. Thank you so much for help and please forgive my tardiness.
You have given me some very useful information and I will now re start my investigations.
Thanks again
Barbara.