PDA

View Full Version : which clan if any

trudi
22-09-2006, 7:20 PM
can anyone please tell me which clan if any a person with the surname Andrews would be associated with

Lesley Robertson
22-09-2006, 9:54 PM
can anyone please tell me which clan if any a person with the surname Andrews would be associated withIt is a shortened form of "Andrew's son". About half of scottish surnames have real links to Clans - largely because the families originated in the gaelic-speaking highlands. Scots-speaking lowlanders are no less scottish. When Prince Albert made it fashionable to wear tartan, all sorts of names became attached to Clans.
Black's "Surnames of Scotland" (one of the main authorities on the subject) doesn't mention any clan link for Andrew/Andrews. However, he does mention a small sept called MacAndrew in Clan Chattan. This truly translates to Anderson, of course. Rampant Scotland have a potted history together with the tartan.

trudi
24-09-2006, 9:18 PM
hi Lesley

Thank you for your reply I have only recently found out from an elderly relative of Scottish ancestors in my family , I had presumed that we had allways been in Somerset now I find that I have a great deal to learn , about my family and Scotland

thank you

Trudi's husband

trudi
24-09-2006, 9:24 PM
hi Lesley

Thank you for your reply I have only recently found out from an elderly relative of Scottish ancestors in my family , I had presumed that we had allways been in Somerset now I find that I have a great deal to learn , about my family and Scotland

thank you

Trudi's husband