PDA

View Full Version : Elder born "Aber???"

KatieB
20-09-2006, 2:41 PM
Husbands GG Grandmother Isabella Hughes nee Elder was born in Scotland according to the 1891 and 1901 census the 1891 give a town which begins Aber and has been trancribed on Ancestry as Aberdare which is Welsh. 1901 just states Scotland and 1881 gives Chester, but family stories all point to scotland being correct.
I have sent for her marriage certificate which hopefull help me find her in earlier census but in the meanwhile Any guesses as where Aber maybe

joette
20-09-2006, 3:27 PM
Possiblly Aberdour/Aberdeen/Aberfoyle are three which come to mind my money is on Aberdour.

KatieB
20-09-2006, 3:33 PM
thanks Joette, which county would that be in, this is my first foray into scotland so not entirly sure how to proceed

Lesley Robertson
22-09-2006, 9:59 PM
thanks Joette, which county would that be in, this is my first foray into scotland so not entirly sure how to proceed
Aberdour is in Fife. Multimap's good when you can't find a place.
Scotlands people has an excellent [getting started] section under [help and other resuources]. You may also find GENUKI useful.

KatieB
25-09-2006, 8:27 AM
Thanks Im stil waiting for the marriage certificate so I can get started.

KatieB
04-10-2006, 7:37 AM
Have got marriage certificate, Father John Elder Farm Bailiff, and have found John on 1871 census it was John who was born in Scotland (c1821) not Isabella.

How compleat are the Old parish records on Scotlands people, I have found several John Elders born in 1818-19 but none in 1821

joette
04-10-2006, 4:09 PM
Very hit & miss depended on what was recorded if anything,what has survived-not everything.
You can get some beautiful records with name of both parents,father's occup,details of sponsors,date of birth,address of birth.
Then you may get "Joe Bloggs a son baptised this day".
Bear in mind too that often people lived in remote areas with no access to a minister,that Marriage by proclomation or by habit & repute was legal in Scotland until this & the last century with no record of that then you can see some of the difficulties you may face.
That's before we mention "the disruption"&the non-conformist & RC church records.
It's all good fun.

Mary Young
04-10-2006, 6:19 PM
How compleat are the Old parish records on Scotlands people, I have found several John Elders born in 1818-19 but none in 1821
Well, I wouldn't be picky about a year or two ... or even five ... or ten. :)
Do you really know he was born in 1821?

KatieB
06-10-2006, 2:47 PM
well his age on the 1871 census was 50 so I was assuming 1821 birth it just said scotland so can't narrow it down that way, he wasn't with the family in 1861.

Mary Young
06-10-2006, 3:36 PM
Hi, KatieB
I found the 1891 image, looks like ABERDEEN to me.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b386/scottishagate/1891census.jpg
Alas there is no likely birth in the I.G.I. but Isabella Hughes (ms Elder) was apparently born c.1853 and compulsory registration only started in Scotland in 1855.
Whereabouts were the family in the 1871 census, I can't find them. :confused:

KatieB
10-10-2006, 7:06 AM
They where in Flintshire Wales but Isabella was working as a servant giving her birth place as Chester (which is where her younger siblings were born) John age 50 born Scotland.

I have now located them on 1861 in Chester. Isabella born Harwarden, Flintshire siblings all born Trinity Chester unfortanatly her father wasn't at home on the night!

But they seem to have dissapeared after 1871 as cannot find any family members apart from Isabella nor have I found any deaths for John or Elizabeth.

Mary Young
10-10-2006, 9:23 AM
[1871] They were in Flintshire Wales but Isabella was working as a servant giving her birth place as Chester (which is where her younger siblings were born)
I wonder if she's a red herring? I notice in 1861, there are two Isabella Elders: your girl with her family, also another Isabella Elder in hospital, Chester, birthplace Chester.

But they seem to have dissapeared after 1871 as cannot find any family members apart from Isabella nor have I found any deaths for John or Elizabeth.How about migration, I suppose you've checked shipping records etc.

Mary Young
10-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi, KatieB
Just some random thoghts.
1861 Isabella Elder age 9, at home, birthplace given as Flintshire, Wales.
Father not at home, so assume census form completed by her mother - the only person who know for sure where a child was born!
(Perhaps the Isabella Elder in Chester Hospital is a "ghost", i.e. same person in two places - in hospital for a few days, and the hospital assumed birth in Chester?)
1871 Isabella Elder working in Wales, declared birthplace Chester where younger sibs. had been born.
1881 Brain gone to mush - I have lost her again. :)
1891 Isabella's husband completed form, remembered vague talk in family about Scotland, entered Isabella's father's birthplace (Aberdeen) instead of her own.
Oh what a tangled web we weave. :confused:

KatieB
12-10-2006, 7:16 AM
Thank You for all your help Mary.
I have been thinking all of the above as well, I am also starting to think they move back to scotland.
Hadden't thought of emigration, where would I find the shipping records?

Mary Young
12-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Thank You for all your help Mary.
I have been thinking all of the above as well, I am also starting to think they moved back to scotland.
No sign in Scotland 1881 of John Elder, wife Elizabeth, or children Margaret, Thomas and Ann.

Hadn't thought of emigration, where would I find the shipping records? Wow that is a big question that I can't answer, have little experience of emigration records. Maybe someone will pick up on this here - or you could post query to other forum(s)?