PDA

View Full Version : Parliamentary Ships

HiFly
19-09-2006, 10:38 AM
As I'm trying to research various Vallis family connections, I came across a Thomas Vallis, on the appointment as Captain of Parliamentary Ship - Nicodemeus - a ship of 200 Guns and 50 Men - British History Online Parliamentary Navy Report - 2 March 1649

Found a reference of the Nicodemeus again as serving on a Spring and Winter fleet - and that's about all..and absolutely nothing else on Thomas Vallis or what happened to the ship or what it was doing.

As this is one of the earliest VALLIS surname reference I have found I am intrigued....and the fact that most other early VALLIS family lines are from the SW (Wilts, Som, Dorset).

I did find on IGI a baptism of a George Vallis on 09 JAN 1644 @ Saint Dunstan, Stepney, London, s/o Thomas & Susan Vallis - so this might be the family(?)

Anyone able to shed any more light or resources that I can investigate please?

TIA - HiFly

Geoffers
19-09-2006, 5:06 PM
Try using the wills on Documentsonline
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/default.asp
From the above URL, look to the left of the screen. Click on the link 'Family History' (it's under 'Browse Categories') Then select 'Wills' from the drop down list. enter the surname Vallis and search.

There seems to be a possible match to the chap you mention - a Thomas Vallis, Mariner or East Ham. Probate granted in 1682

Geoffers

Geoffers
19-09-2006, 5:12 PM
part 2....

There may be other references to your chap.
Using TNA's online catalogue http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/default.asp
enter 'Vallis' in the 'word or phrase' field and in the last field, 'Department or Series Code' enter 'SP' (stands for State Papers)

There are a couple of matches.

There might also be a reference in the 'T' (for Treasury) series

Geoffers

HiFly
20-09-2006, 1:49 AM
Many Thanks Geoffers.

Must admit it's a bit daunting finding your way around The National Archives - but picked up a few references to follow at some stage - at present looks like I'll need a lottery windfall 1st - LOL.

HiFly