PDA

View Full Version : Smiths - its so hard to trace em!!

Ann65
16-09-2006, 8:22 PM
HELP please, want to find out about the family/ancestors of James Smith c.1817 Sutterton Lincs, son of John and Elizabeth. Have his siblings, but no idea how to get further back! I already know what happened to James, he ended up in Boston married to Caroline Tebbs.

jeeb
17-09-2006, 7:28 PM
Hi Ann,
With a name like Smith it is always more difficult to establish the correct line. Looking on the IGI it appears James is at the end of a long line of children baptised to John & Elizabeth in Sutterton, the first being Elizabeth in 1796. The gap between each baptism would suggest they are all siblings. Assuming this and that is all it can be, it would seem that John & Elizabeth stayed in Sutterton all their lives so are likely to be buried there. As children were born after 1813 the age of death for John will be given. The children started to arrive in 1796 and continued for over 20 years so it would be reasonable to think this was a young couple at marriage and John is likely to have been born around 1775. It is likely his birth and marriage will have taken place locally as this family seem fairly settled in the area. Best of luck.
Jeremy.

Geoff Everitt
17-09-2006, 8:42 PM
Unfortunately, the National Burial Index has two possibles for John SMITH at Sutterton ...

17 March 1826 (59)
29 March 1840 (67)

Hmmm ... an Elizabeth to confuse things as well
3 Nov 1817 (43)

arthurk
17-09-2006, 9:03 PM
If it's any help, at James's baptism in 1817 his father John was shown as a farmer. The 1817 burial of Elizabeth gives her as wife of John Smith, farmer. The two John Smith burials don't give occupations; the 1826 one was of Sutterton, and the 1840 one of Boston.

(Copies of the PR fiches can be bought from Lincolnshire Archives.)

Arthur

Ann65
17-09-2006, 10:28 PM
Thanks everyone, Ill have to see what I can do with this info !!

(If anyone else has any more info of course, it would be very welcome)

Pam Downes
18-09-2006, 12:54 AM
Hi Ann,
Sutterton is in Holland West deanery, which also includes villages such as Wyberton, Frampton, Kirton, Algarkirk, Donington, Bicker, Fosdyke, and Swineshead.
The only likely marriage that I can see in the deanery marriage index published by Lincs FHS is John Smith and Elizabeth Allen in Wyberton 2nd April 1793.
Can't see a suitable marriage in the Holland East deanery which covers Boston and villages to the north and east such as Skirbeck, Fishtoft, Benington, Freiston, Old Leake, Wrangle, etc.
West Elloe deanery has John Smith and Elizabeth Dickens marrying in Pinchbeck in 1794.
Boston library have copies of all the marriage indexes 1700 - 1837 in book form. (Better hope there's a long queue in Bycrofts!!)
Pam

Ann65
18-09-2006, 7:47 AM
As always you are a star Pam! Thanks.

jeeb
18-09-2006, 9:44 PM
Hi Ann,
If John Smith was a farmer he is likely to have left a will.
Jeremy

arthurk
19-09-2006, 8:11 PM
If John Smith was a farmer he is likely to have left a will.
Lincoln Consistory Court Wills Index has the will of a John Smith of Boston, 1840, Ref. 1840/230, which could tie in with the later of the two burials found in Sutterton. There doesn't seem to be a will or admon listed for the John Smith of Sutterton (1826). Have you tried the PCC?

Arthur

Ann65
19-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Stuck in Surrey unfortunatly, I will have approx an hour at my disposal in Boston Lib on 25th prior to my beloved uncles funeral. It was his wife, who died 5 months ago whos family Im trying to track down, so any info I can acquire between now and then helps, as I was hoping to present my cousins with the best tree I can for the pair of them, but no pain if no gain, theyll be glad of the info they get, Im very sure of that.