PDA

View Full Version : Austen - Boer War and WWI

canada310
16-09-2006, 1:50 PM
My great grandfather, William James Austen (b. 1880 or 1881) fought in the Boer War and WWI. Using the National Archives I have found a medal card for a William J. How can I check if this is my William James?

Alex Ewen-French
16-09-2006, 6:25 PM
Can you confirm the date of birth - 1835 would make him too old for either.

Alex

canada310
16-09-2006, 8:38 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. There are too many William Austen's in my family to keep straight sometimes! The year of birth should have been 1881 or 1880.

WaltonAus
17-09-2006, 9:44 AM
Hello Canada, I can't help with your question but would like to ask one of my own please.
My family name is EUSTON but I can't find anything on them before 1904 in Australia. My question is ... Does your William Austen have any brothers? Perhaps a Walton Harry or anything similar.
My GF was Walton Harry EUSTON B:c1884 to Wm EUSTON & Mary Newton. The Australian Certs I have bought state birthplace as Tryddyn Nth Wales but I am keeping an open mind on this point.
Was your William Austen's father also a William by any chance? and his mother Mary?
I am at a total loss as to where to go next and hence my questions.

Good luck with your search.
Kind Regards
Peter Euston.

Geoffers
17-09-2006, 11:28 AM
My great grandfather, William James Austen (b. 1880 or 1881) fought in the Boer War and WWI. Using the National Archives I have found a medal card for a William J. How can I check if this is my William James?
When did he marry?
Was this whilst he was still serving in the army?
Have you obtained his marriage certificate and if so, what is his occupation?
Did he have any children whilst serving in the army, if so have you obtained their birth certificates and what is his occupation shown as?

Geoffers

canada310
25-09-2006, 6:00 PM
Yes, my g. grandfather did get married whilst serving in the army. He got married at St. Brigit's in Crosshaven, Ireland as he was stationed nearby at Fort Camden. The marriage certificate (via a family member) is on the way. At least two children were born in Ireland during his military service. I will try to get these birth certificates as soon as I familiarize myself with the Irish genealogy way of doing things. Pardon my ignorance, but how does help in determining if the William J. on the medal card is the right one? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Geoffers
25-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Yes, my g. grandfather did get married whilst serving in the army. He got married at St. Brigit's in Crosshaven, Ireland as he was stationed nearby at Fort Camden. The marriage certificate (via a family member) is on the wayThe reason for asking he questions was to think of ways of confirming the identity of your chap on the medal card index. The marriage certificate should record his occupation and with it may give specific detail as to his rank, no. and regt.

Similarly children born whilst in army service may well be included in the index to regimental registers of births. A certificate for one of them will give his rank, no. and regt and so hopefully tie up with a medal card.

The details may also tie up with the medal roll for the Boer War.

Geoffers