PDA

View Full Version : Mason of vernham Dean

sandymae
13-09-2006, 3:37 PM
Could anyone help regarding information on the Mason's of Venham Dean?

I have traced back to:

John Mason (poss birth date 1790?) b Vernham Dean wife Mary 'unknown'
Issue : Henry born c 1814
Lucy born c 1817
probably more children

Henry (above) married twice:
1. Sarah Unknown they had a daughter Eliza born c 1851 Whitchurch.
2. Mary Ann Waters by whom he had 4 children
William 1855 born Whitchurch
Emily 1858 Whitchurch
Ann 1860 Longparish
Walter 1866 Longparish

I would dearly like to find information regarding John and Mary and possibly earlier. Any help much appreciated!

Steve Steere
12-10-2006, 12:27 AM
Hi Sandymae,

Vernham Dean baptisms are on the IGI, and there is no John Mason shown around 1790, so possibly he was baptised in a nearby parish.

There are three children shown baptised to a John & Mary MASON, the two you mention are Henry baptised 28 March 1813 Andover, Lucy baptised 9 March 1817 Andover, and one extra, Isaac baptised 25 December 1814 Andover.

There are transcripts made by Mr Hackman of the BT transcripts of most Hampshire parishes, available commercially on CD or fiche, and of course Archive CD Books have the Phillimore's Marriages CD & the Hampshire Allegations for Marriage Licences CD, where the marriage might possibly be.

Looking on FreeBMD on the 4Q 1837 Andover, there is a Henry MASON, volume 7, page 65. I see a Sarah NEWMAN appears also in Andover on page 45, so there might be an error made on the index.

I do suggest you look at the Hampshire Genealogical Society who have excellent published resources, and offer a members only marriage look up service covering pre civil registration dates in Hampshire (except the IoW) for a small fee.

Regards,

Steve