PDA

View Full Version : Sanatorium in Creaton Northants

perseus
12-09-2006, 6:00 PM
Hi
does anyone know anything of this place. I believe they cared for (some) people with TB

Cheers
Maggie

Genevieve
17-09-2006, 9:09 PM
Hi, I don't know if you know Creaton at all. I live a couple of miles away. It's a small village and the only existing building I can imagine being a sanatorium is Highgate House which is on the edge of the village and is now a conference centre.

I know that there was a local history group/society in existence a few years ago. I'll try and find out if they still exist and if so, contact details.

perseus
21-09-2006, 3:03 PM
Hi Genevieve

Thanks for your info and offer to follow up on Highgate House, and the local family history people.
I was told of the sanatorium by a cousin who had been told that her mother's brother had been there in 1920s. Horace died in 1925 aged 21 but I'm not sure if he was at the sanatorium or not.
I am very interested in him, as his father , my grandad's brother died the same year at 45, in Narborough.
I could send for certificates but it gets so expensive, especially when there are enough direct descendents to get certificates for.

I hope there is some local knowledge of the place, and I appreciate your help.

maggie

kingfisher171
22-09-2006, 11:46 AM
This is nagging me. I have actually been in this place (not as a patient but visitor) ages ago. I am currently search all over the place to confirm your request.

kingfisher171
22-09-2006, 12:18 PM
I couldn't "lift" the pic, but maybe this link will work

eBay.co.uk - Northamptonshire, England, Topographical British, Postcards items at low prices
... £0.78. 14h 22m. creaton hospital aerial view northamptonshire ...

kingfisher171
22-09-2006, 12:39 PM
I think it best you go to ebay, and view postcards. There are several cards for sale there showing Creaton Sanitorium (1930 ish). One guy was selling a view which he had difficulty in describing as he couldn't read "creaton" and described it as a rare find. I saw that a wise old owl in our town had identified it, without giving the game away and had entered a bid which with only an hour to go, will secure it. Quite simply, by doing a search, via various or combined search engines, using a combination of words, ie "old hospitals/sanitoriums etc" you will find many references to this place, so yes, it did exist but moved to Market Harborough eventually.

perseus
22-09-2006, 3:15 PM
Thanks Kingfisher . Will try ebay...would be so good to see it or get more info. It's interesting too to learn that it moved to Mkt Harboro. Do you know what it was called there?

Thanks again

Maggie

kingfisher171
22-09-2006, 3:19 PM
Hi, to tell the truth, I searched the web using the words "creaton hospital" and found endless mentions. I cannot remember exactly where it was I saw that. In fact I don't think it gave any further details only it moved to larger premises. Maybe a "market harborough hospitals" might prove informative?. When I've had another think, I'll try again.

perseus
23-09-2006, 12:08 PM
hi
Did go on to eBay and find a postcard of the Sanatrium. Will try what you did and search for hospitals.

thanks again.

I guess I really need to send for that death certificate, don't I?

maggie

Sue Longworth
03-11-2006, 10:16 AM
maggie,
I work in the archive at Northampton General Hospital and just happen to be writing a brief history of Creaton Sanatorium for our files !

I go in just once a week (as a volunteer) on Wednesday mornings between 8am and 1.30pm.

Look forward to hearing from you !
Sue

kingfisher171
03-11-2006, 4:43 PM
Hi, as this thread has been quiet for ages, I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't noticed. If you right clic on the original posters name, you will see you have the opportunity to contact perseus direct via her email. Incidently, I've always been led to believe that to provide you personal ID as you have done, can lead etc etc, so I'd consider removing it if I were you. That's if there is a facility, if not contact the site owners and ask them. Hope you don't mind me tipping you off.

Sue Longworth
08-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I was grateful for your advice on not giving details, I have not used this type of site before and was not aware of the protocol.
It was kind of you to take the time to point it out.
Sue

sue2white
08-04-2008, 2:56 PM
Hi

I don't think the sanatorian is at Highgate house. My mother in law was in Creaton Hospital in the 1970's. It later closed down and was converted into residences. I think this may well have been the sanatorian. If I remember rightly, as you go through the village towards Welford, there is a turning on the left that takes you to Guilsborough. The hospital was just there on the left.

Sue

perseus
05-05-2008, 7:49 PM
Hi Sue
Only just noticed your message. Thanks.

A relative of mine was in the sanatorium in the early 1920s.
He died in 1925 of TB aged 21,though not in Creaton.

Maggie

tony labrum
24-07-2008, 6:52 PM
Hi Perseus
My name is Tony Labrum, i know of creaton hospital as i was a patient there from january 1960 to july 1960.
I was 20yrs old. The hospital was very basic but the staff and the treatment was excelent. I had a staff nurse looking after me from day one. She was a perfect nurse and if you were really ill she would stay with you day and night until you were ok again.
I would say this because i married her and we are still very happily maried.
I met the surgeons and xray staff during my stay and i am glad to say ive never looked back.
The wards were all made of wood and you had to have strict bed rest, mine stay in bed was 6months, plus hundreds of pills and about 90 injections but they did the job.
I hope this helps you to know what it was like . if you want to know anything please ask me.
Thanks
Tony

perseus
04-08-2008, 2:29 PM
Hi Tony

Thanks for your reply to my query.
I'm plesed that you had a very positive stay in Creaton and that you have had a very happy marriage from your stay there.

My query was really to do with the son of my grandad's brother.
I guess I got interested because their history was rather tragic. Frank, the father, died in tha Leicester Asylum in 1925 aged 45 and Horace, his son, also died in 1925 a few months before his father. He was 21. It seems he had been in Creaton but actually died at home in thurmaston. His d c stated pulmonary tuberculosis 2 years.

I'm not sure what I thought I might find out about Creaton. It is another piece in the genealogical jigsaw.

I really appreciate your response. Thanks

maggie

Sue Longworth
13-08-2008, 1:04 PM
Tony,
we have a history of Creaton Sanatorium at the archive at northampton general hospital.

If you would like some facts contact me on sue dot longworth at ngh dot nhs dot uk