PDA

View Full Version : Dartmoor Prison 1871 cenus

EMMASMUM
09-09-2006, 3:50 PM
Hi
This is my first post so I hope I am doing it ok.
I have been tracing my family for about 5 years with my mum
and me have been quite lucky and got back to 1680's.
Most have our family have been ag. labourers but I found
several weeks ago we had a black sheep in the family

Geo. Boyce
born 1825 Welford gloucs residing in dartmoor prison 1871

can anyone tell me why he would be prisoned in dartmoor along
way from home in stratford on avon and can anyone help with his
crime details or how I can find out more info.
Many thanks
Jan

Colin Moretti
09-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Hello Jan

Welcome to the forums; it's a very friendly lot here and I'm sure that you'll get lots of good advice.

Prison records for the period you are interested in are kept at The National Archives (TNA) at Kew. I'm not sure exactly what you will find for Dartmoor Prison but I suggest that you read the TNA guidance leaflets on the subject.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=253

My g grandfather was at Portland prison and I found his complete prison record and through that I was able to track down his trial record. If you're luck you might even find George's photograph in the records (no guarantees).

The other thing to try is to search the online Times digital archive for the period - you can access this at many local libraries or county record offices; you may well find a report of his trial.

You might also find it helpful to read Criminal Ancestors: a Guide to Criminal Records in England and Wales by D T Hawkings.

Good luck

Colin

EMMASMUM
11-09-2006, 8:47 AM
Hi Colin
Thanks for your help I hope im as succesfull as you were in finding
trial information. I have contacted Dartmoor Prison and Im hoping
that they might be able to help as well.
Thanks again I will certainly follow your suggestions.

Jan

ps If its not to cheeky what was the crime that your ancestor
was jailed for

Colin Moretti
11-09-2006, 9:03 AM

ps If its not to cheeky what was the crime that your ancestor
was jailed forNot at all; he was a letter carrier (ie postman) in the mid 1850s. The PO had obviously been having problems with the theft of letters. Great grandfather was caught, along with 4 colleagues, in a "sting"; he was found with 2 marked gold half-sovereigns and 12 marked one-penny stamps, one other post letter, value one penny; one piece of paper, value one penny and one envelope, value one penny “… the property of Her Majesty’s Post Master General” - 6 years hard labour (I was luck that he wasn't transported).

Good luck

Colin