PDA

View Full Version : Pembroke, but what is HMS Pembroke 1 ?

ChristineR
09-09-2006, 3:35 PM
I've googled without any success on this - except to find that there might be two or more ships of the same name with the numerals to distinguish them. I am aware that Pembroke is the barracks for the Port Division of Chatham to which my ancestor belonged. However, he has served at Pembroke 1 with regularity. It was suggested on a list that this was an accounting base, and the person could be serving anywhere, but I dont know if that was for a later time period.

The times I am interested in are 1902 and 1907. In 1903 he was just plain Pembroke. Hoping someone knows their ships and shores :)

Christine

busyglen
09-09-2006, 5:14 PM
Hi Christine,

As I understand it, Pembroke was what they call a `stone ship' ie. hulks, where the sailors were based in Chatham. In about 1902 a land based establishment was built and commissioned and given HMS status. As far as I am aware, there hasn't been a ship named HMS Pembroke.

I believe previously Pembroke was used by the Royal Marines, and my father was based there several times during his 22 yrs service in the early 1900s.

I may have got this wrong, so like you, I should be interested to know if anyone else has more information on this.

Glenys

busyglen
09-09-2006, 7:05 PM
Hi Christine,

Having looked at this some more, and consulting my husband......I have got some of this a bit wrong...sorry!!

The hulks were used for prisoners, and was also used as accommodation for the sailors etc. who looked after them.

In 1904 HMS Pembroke (land based) was built as an accommodation centre and supply school until it's closure in 1984. It is now used by the University of Greenwich.

Upon it's closure a ship was named HMS Pembroke and is still in use.

On the Island where I live, there used to be HMS Wildfire, (land based) and it had Wildfire 1, 2 and 3, which denoted RN stations within the area. So, it's possible the 1 referred to another RN station within the area.

If you would like to contact me off forum at my email address, I can put you in touch with someone who may be able to help you.

Regards

Glenys

ChristineR
10-09-2006, 3:21 AM
Thanks Glenys,

I believe your answer is enough to satisfy me, that makes sense - the numbers denoting particular bases within the same barracks. Grandad also spent time at Wildfire too.

thanks a lot
Christine

bismuth
19-09-2006, 8:59 PM
My late grandfather enlisted at Chatham in 1898 as a boy seaman and served in various ships until November 1905 when he was discharged through injury.He was stationed at Pembroke 2 in 1905,Wildfire in 1905 and finally in Pembroke until his discharge 1905.He was recalled in 1914 and served in HMS Phaeton until his discharge in February 1919 again with a short spell at Pemroke 1. He then returned to employment on Merseyside with the Mersey docks and Harbour Board.Brian Smith

ChristineR
20-09-2006, 3:40 AM
My boy seaman belonging to Chatham did his training up at Queensferry,
Scotland - my grandfather joined in 1899. The training ship, HMS Caledonia, was moored just a few cables from Firth of the Forth Bridge.

Christine