PDA

View Full Version : McARTHUR: Skye -- late 18thC

Trish
09-11-2004, 2:44 AM
I'm looking for general information on the McARTHUR name on the Isle of Skye around the late 1700s. I believe my ancestor John McARTHUR may have started off there and ended up in Edinburgh.

Does anyone know some good Web sites out there?

Trish
Toronto, Canada

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 9:23 AM
I know a lovely man who has been researching the name McArthur from the Isle of Skye and Islay. He has also wrote on some McArthurs on this site
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/uk_north_and_scotland/
you have to be a member but it is free. It may help.
Jo :)

Trish
09-11-2004, 6:28 PM
Thanks very much for the tip, Jo. I will definitely look into joining the site and looking for the research you mention. This is a branch that I haven't explored much so I do welcome advice! Thanks again.

Trish

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 6:34 PM
You are welcome, might see you there too!
Jo :)

dmcar88233
09-11-2004, 6:39 PM
Trish, I dont know who that lovely man is that Jo told you about??? lol but she told me that you are looking for Mac/McArthur's on Skye, well I have two John MacArthur's both brothers on Skye, but there where a lot of John, Peter, and Donald. my family are from the Strath area of Skys, there was another family that I have yet to verify a connection with and they are the MacArthur pipers, Pipers to the MacDonalds, Lord of the Isles. my e-mail address is [email protected]

Don

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 6:41 PM
Hi Don :D , nice you made it.
Jo

dmcar88233
09-11-2004, 6:41 PM
Trish, I dont know who that lovely man is that Jo told you about??? lol but she told me that you are looking for Mac/McArthur's on Skye, well I have two John MacArthur's both brothers on Skye, but there where a lot of John, Peter, and Donald. my family are from the Strath area of Skys, there was another family that I have yet to verify a connection with and they are the MacArthur pipers, Pipers to the MacDonalds, Lord of the Isles. my e-mail address is [email protected]

Don[/QUOTE]

Trish
10-11-2004, 3:47 AM
Don,

Wow! :D I'm impressed with Jo's abilities to conjure up expertise just like that. Poof! Very impressive.

Thank you for responding so quickly and a warm welcome to B-G Forums.

I am looking for Mac/McArthurs on Skye but I have very little to go on. I have a Diana McArthur in my family tree, born in Edinburgh in 1789 to John McArthur and Katharine McQueen. I think John may have come from Skye. Unfortunately, my reasons for thinking this completely escape me at the moment -- I will have to dig into my extremely disorganized files to jog brain cells. When I do I will e-mail you offline.

Thanks again [and thank you Jo!]

Trish

dmcar88233
11-11-2004, 12:22 AM
Trish.

The loose John McArthur that I have was born 31st. Oct. 1856, this is much later than the one your looking for. My great great great grandfather, John MacArthur (born sometime about 1779) in Luib, Strath, IoS. and his father also John born 1750, but I do not know if any of these had any brothers as the would also have named their sons John too. Don

dilworth
29-08-2006, 5:49 PM
I have a family tree member who I think will be from Edinburgh the above Duncan McArthur.His daughter Jessie M cArthur married James Douglas on 1st Nov1836 They had a daughter Elizabeth Douglas who married on the 27th June 1876 to a Richard Fowler and their Daughter Janet Elizabeth Fowler was my Granny and she lived in Edinburgh till her Death
Please reply if you have any information expanding on this family Link
Sincerely Anne Marshall