PDA

View Full Version : Arthur William Taylor/Taylor family Carbondale PA

Ann65
08-09-2006, 7:24 PM
I have an Arthur William Taylor b.1887 Fleet, Lincs, England, who vanishes between the 1891 and 1901 Census.
His older sister Rhoda Taylor emigrated to the USA in 1892 and met and married Francis Henry Masters.

I have a photograph, undated, which shows a man. The front shows it was taken by "Cramer, Scranton, Carbondale, Jermyn"

The personal hand on the reverse is as follows:

The first reads: "To Grandma and Aunt Martha"
In a different hand it reads "My Brother Bill"

If the photo was sent by Rhoda Taylor,
"Grandma" would be Rachel Taylor (nee Whiley)
"Aunt Martha" would be Rachels daughter, and my great gran.
All this fits with my great gran living with my grandparents before she died, and her photos ending up with my grandparents photos.

To my mind, there are two possible candidates:
Rhoda Taylor sent a picture of her brother Arthur William, after he emigrated to the USA. Perhaps he wrote the greeting, and she wrote "my brother Bill".

Or did William Taylor, Marthas brother, and Rhodas father, emigrate to the USA and is he the man in the photograph, to which my great gran added the words "My brother Bill".

If anyone could possibly find out if a William Taylor b.circa 1844 emigrated to the USA between 1891 and 1901, with or without his wife Harriet?
Also could anyone possibly find out if an Arthur William Taylor b.circa 1887 emigrated to the USA between 1891 and 1901.?
That might just solve my riddle.

Many thanks.
Ann

Sheridanfine
08-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi Ann

If only mine was as easy in 1900 "LOL"

Home in 1900, Mill Street, Carbondale Ward 3, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania

Head of household, William Taylor, age 54, born Oct 1845, Widowed, born England both parents born England, immigration year 1893, 7 years in US, Alien, Laborer Gas House
Daughter, Emma Taylor, age 28, born Apr 1872, Single, born England, imm 1893
Son, Arthur Taylor, age 13, born Apr 1887, Single, born England, imm 1893, at school
Son, Hugh Taylor, age 7, born June 1892, Single, born England, imm 1893, At school

I will see what else is available as this came up in my first exact search.

Best wishes

Yvonne

Sheridanfine
08-09-2006, 10:37 PM
William in 1910

1910, living at Pike Street, Carbondale Ward 3, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania

Head of household, Edward Bradley, age 39, Marriage 1, for 2 years, born Ire (English) both parents born Ire (English), imm 1891, Alien, Miner, Coal Miner
Wife, Harriet Bradley, age 38, Marriage 1, 1 child 1 living, born Eng, imm 1893
Son, Thomas Bradley, age 1 1/12, born Pennsylvania
Father in law, William Taylor, age 64 now shows as Naturalized, labour, Gas home
Brother in Law, Hugh Taylor, age 17

Sheridanfine
08-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Ann

I haven't found Arthur in 1910 at the moment but here is his WWI Draft Registration card, everything fits but he is living in Clinton New York

Arthur W Taylor, age 30

Chapman Rousepoint? NY

dob April 18 1887

Naturalized by father

born Fleet, England

Railroad Conductor

By whom employed, ? R.R.C. RousePoint, NY

Wife and 4 children

Married, caucasion

Medium height, slender build, Blue eyes, Brown hair, not bald

Found this Arthur and family in 1920, see what you think!

Living on Delaware Street, Champlain, Clinton, New York

Head, Arthur W Taylor, Owns home, mortgaged, age 32, married, immigration year 1893, born England, both parents born England, occupation Trainman, Railroad

Wife, Myrtle R, age 34, immigration year unknown, born Canada, both parents born Canada

Daughter, Marion, age 11, born New york

Son, Ellsworth, age 8, born New York

Daughter, Alma, age 6, born New York

Daughter, Beatrice, age 5, born New York

I'm certain there is lots more to find but it's quarter past midnight and I'm so tired, so I'll leave it there for tonight.

Best wishes

Yvonne

Ann65
09-09-2006, 10:54 AM
You are fantastic!!

Yippee !!

I cant believe it. All these years we mooched about looking at those photos and thinking "they were bound to be Taylors...." Simply because "Aunt Martha" (my great grandma) pointed to a Taylor connection, and she had a brother William.

Excellent news, I cant believe my luck. Thank you so so much!

(Me dad was already really excited about finding out about Maud Masters, hes going to be amazed when I tell him about My Brother Bill)

:D

Sheridanfine
09-09-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Ann

I am really so pleased for you also, it is so brilliant

Just to say that I found Arthur, Myrtle and Marian indexed under Tyler in 1910, very hard to read but I think that it is Pratt Street, Champlain, Clinton, New York

Plus again found the family in 1930, living at 55 Chapman Street, Champlain, Clinton, New York. Extra information is that Arthur is a Gen. Yard Master, Steam R.Road and he did not serve as a veteran in WWI. Arthur married at age 20 and Myrtle age 22.

I haven't found Hugh in WWI drafts, 1920 or 1930, so have a funny feeling there!

Would you want me to carry on looking for info regarding Arthur's family ? (I am thinking that we might just get upto present day if we are very lucky) Of course if you want me to and also if we manage it I wouldn't put info here but PM you.

Best wishes

Yvonne

PS: I haven't followed through with Harriet's family, do you want this researched also?

Ann65
09-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Yes, I think thats him on the 1920 census in NY - I have a couple of addresses from grandads old addressbook for NY:

Mrs J Bahan 1909 Union St, Schenectady, NY, Usa.
and Mrs Bradley 55 Chapman St, "Rouse Paint" (badly written, Ive no idea if thats what it really says?), NY USA

I also have a "Miss B Taylor 3050 Cudaha St, Huntington Park, California." So it looks like some of them moved there as well.

Finally there was also a Mrs B Lamb of 3246 Sandwood, Lakewood II Calif.
and a Mrs Jeanne McSorphee 1034 Alter Road, Detroit 15 Michigan

Ann65
09-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I think we should concentrate on the Taylors - after all thats my actual connection. Thank you so much for doing all this for me. Id love to find a living descendant, my dad would be overjoyed (not that he isnt already!)

Sheridanfine
09-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Right Ann!

I will get started, you are sooooooooo lucky to have these addresses as straight away there is proof that this is your Arthur as you have a Mrs Bradley liviing at 55 Chapman Street, this is the address for Arthur and his family in 1930 and so this must be Harriet!

Forgot to tell you that on the 1930 census, Arthur is shown as owning the property!

I will PM you with any results

Best wishes

Yvonne

Ann65
09-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I cant thank you enough for doing this for me. Its just too excellent for words!!

Ann65
24-05-2010, 8:07 PM
I cant thank you enough for doing this for me. Its just too excellent for words!!

and it was...... and then my uncle died, just as we were uncovering all this, and I stopped working on it. Its only now that I have got around to wondering who all the other folks were in grandads old address book that emigrated.... They were almost certainly all related to this family of Taylors.

To recap with extra info:

Maud Masters dtr of Francis H Masters and Rhoda nee Taylor lived at 40 South Main St Carbondale until she died.

We have another family photo of Mum Dad and "JANE".

In the Masters family there were two brothers of Francis: George and Rommey(?) All came from Devon England. Mothers name was Mary..

They could also be Taylors, or even Bradleys (they came from Ireland).

Some of the Taylor/Bradley line moved to Rouses Pt, New York, and on from there to Sandwood, Lakewood, California and I have leads on those.

What I dont have leads on is two more addresses from Grandads address book:

Mrs J Bahan 1909 Union St Schenectady, NY USA

and Mrs Jeane McShee 1034 Alter Road, Detroit 15, Michigan USA

these would all date from the mid 20th century.

Ann65
01-06-2010, 7:47 PM
#

and it was...... and then my uncle died, just as we were uncovering all this, and I stopped working on it. Its only now that I have got around to wondering who all the other folks were in grandads old address book that emigrated.... They were almost certainly all related to this family of Taylors.

To recap with extra info:

Maud Masters dtr of Francis H Masters and Rhoda nee Taylor lived at 40 South Main St Carbondale until she died.

We have another family photo of Mum Dad and "JANE".

In the Masters family there were two brothers of Francis: George and Rommey(?) All came from Devon England. Mothers name was Mary..

They could also be Taylors, or even Bradleys (they came from Ireland).

Some of the Taylor/Bradley line moved to Rouses Pt, New York, and on from there to Sandwood, Lakewood, California and I have leads on those.

What I dont have leads on is two more addresses from Grandads address book:

Mrs J Bahan 1909 Union St Schenectady, NY USA

and Mrs Jeane McShee 1034 Alter Road, Detroit 15, Michigan USA

these would all date from the mid 20th century.

Ann65

mebahan
28-11-2010, 6:34 PM
I just saw this post -- if you are are still curious about Mrs. J Bahan -- that would have been my great-grandmother, Margaret - I believe

Ann65
28-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I just saw this post -- if you are are still curious about Mrs. J Bahan -- that would have been my great-grandmother, Margaret - I believe

Now you got me really excited!! :) please tell me all :) x