PDA

View Full Version : GEDcom Standards? (Ye jest, of course!)

Clive Blackaby
09-11-2004, 12:53 AM
Does anyone know .....

Is there such a thing as a set of standards for GEDcom files?

And if there is who, if anyone owns / controls it and is (presumably) stuck with the unenviable task of trying - evidently without too much success - to persuade the various producers of FT software to actually stick to it?

(Perhaps that is a rhetorical question)

Failing that, is there some smart boffin out there who has written a program which will convert the various diverse versions of GEDcom from one to another?

I use Family Tree Maker (FTM) not because it's good, but because it's what I've got, and I haven't yet found anything that is so much better that I want to spring a load of cash on yet another program. It draws passable trees if you don't have too many second marriages, and no cousin marriages. (I could give them a list of improvements especially for their "All - in - one" tree, but they ignored the last one)

I also flip (via GEDcom) into Family Historian, whose tree drawing ability has quite a bit to recommend it - you can expand and collapse branches which is good (FTM please note and copy!!!) - but it is a bit rigid. I use it as much as anything for the reporting / query capabilities which are far in advance of FTM.

But it is so irritating when FTM outputs GEDcom files with About, Before, (etc) as "ABT.", "BEF." and FH refuses to understand it unless you delete the "."

Similarly if you manage to persuade the National Burial Index to give you a GEDcom extract, then import it into FTM, it slings out all of the AGE at BURIAL records as an unrecognised format.

So I have had to replace them all with an estimated date of birth. Means fiddling around with editing Gedcom files or entering the data manually, which rather defeats the object of using GEDcom

Yes I can set up an edit macro which will deal with most of these, and the other apparent non-conformances, but WHY.

End of Rant!!!!:mad:

Guy Etchells
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Gedcom is a standard developed by the Family and Church History department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
It is in my view one of the best innovations in family history of the century but unfortunately not all developers of family history programs adhere to the standard, and many programs add capabilities not catered for in the standard.

Gedcom is not a static standard but has been developed and improved over time and is at present at version 5.5 with trails of an improved version ongoing.

For further details visit
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Home/FAQ/faq_gedcom.asp?color=green

As far as I am aware abbreviations should not be followed by a period.
Cheers
Guy

Geoffers
09-11-2004, 1:59 PM
I also flip (via GEDcom) into Family Historian, whose tree drawing ability has quite a bit to recommend it - you can expand and collapse branches which is good (FTM please note and copy!!!) - but it is a bit rigid. I use it as much as anything for the reporting / query capabilities which are far in advance of FTM.
But it is so irritating when FTM outputs GEDcom files with About, Before, (etc) as "ABT.", "BEF." and FH refuses to understand it unless you delete the "."

There was some discussion about this on the Family Historian mailing list a while ago. I would hasten to say from the outset that I have no techincal knowledge of this sort of thing - it either works and I'm happy, or not and I hit it whilst making a few observations about its performance.

Having said that, Simon Orde, the creator/developer of FH is insistent that the programme sticks to Gedcom 5.5 standard - apparantly, I am led to believe that it is FTM (yuck!! - just my personal view there since we're into rants with this thread) which does not adhere to the standard.

If you continue to have problems, I can thoroughly recommend standing in a corner and having a good scream, though as a release of tension it comes second-best to hitting the computer with something hard.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire