PDA

View Full Version : Munday family

cynonpuss
08-09-2006, 4:25 PM
my maternal gran was a Munday, born in Aberdare in 1893. Her father, Joseph, was born in Bedwellty in 1866, and had a twin brother Madrick (or Medrick),The Next generation back is the one that I am stuck on. Joseph's father John, was also born Bedwellty / Ebbw Vale in 1832. He married a lady from Gloucester, called Rhoda, in c.1859. I cannot find a marriage record, as I do not know Rhoda's maiden name.
does this cross with anyone elses's research?? if so would love to hear from you.
Diolch!

Ladkyis
08-09-2006, 7:27 PM
When you say you have not found the marriage where have you looked? I took a quick look at FreeBMD

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

but could not find anyone called Rhoda on the same page as John Munday (I found a few of those)

This does not mean he didn't marry her it just means we haven't looked properly yet.

Where did you get the name Rhoda for his wife? Is it possible that she had another name too and this was used for the marriage. Could they have married later than you think? I kept my search between 1858 and 1861 so you could widen it by at least ten years, and don't base it on when their first child was born because our ancestors didn't let a little thing like children interfere with life.
The number of people with Munday as a surname surprised me, I thought it was uncommon but it would seem not.
I am keen to help

Ann

Ann65
08-09-2006, 7:42 PM
We seem to end up on the same posts Ann ;)

I also had a look and found no Rhodas marrying any John Mundays. I also had a look for Mondays and Mundys. No joy.

Annie
08-09-2006, 7:51 PM
A check on the 1861 census shows the family were living in Staffordshire:
John Monday 34 born Gloucester
Rhoda Monday 22
Isabella Munday 1
Rhoda Munday 3

Civil parish: Wednesbury
Ecclesiastical parish: Kings Hill
Town: Wednesbury
County/Island: Staffordshire
RG9/2033/pages 13 and 14

you might be better trying to find one of the children's birth cert.

Annie
08-09-2006, 7:54 PM
Isabella was the easiest to find:
Name: Isabella Munday
Year of Registration: 1860
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Abergavenny
County: Herefordshire, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 71

Annie
09-09-2006, 9:07 AM
Rhoda Munday may have died young:
Name: Rhoda Munday
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Year of Registration: 1874
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at death: 30
District: Bedwelty
County: Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 62

cynonpuss
02-10-2006, 11:54 AM
thank you all for the help!
The name was on a census, I obtained a birth certificate for my great grandfather, her son Joseph, and it gave her name as Smith.
From that I found the marriage took place in1857 in Newport.
She died at the age of 34.
The family were indeed living in Staffs at one time, Isabella would have been a great gtreat aunt!

I'm still having a problem identifying which 'Smith' family she came from, but I'll plod on!
Once agin thank you for all the help and suggestions, I'm quite a novice at this!
Linda