PDA

View Full Version : Strouds and Hathrill

sandymae
06-09-2006, 9:27 PM
Hi, I am researching the Stroud and Hatherill families in Aldbourne and asurrounding villages. But have found a hole which I cannot fill!

Does anyone know where William and Hannah Stroud (nee' Brind) were when the 1871 census was taken. I cannot find them on the Ancestry website. They had one son Edward William born 1866 at Ogbourne St George.

When their next child Harriet was born (1873) they lived at Beckhampton.

William was born at Aldbourne 1847, and Hannah at Mildenhall 1844.

With thanks - in anticipation!

Trish
31-12-2006, 1:10 AM
This may be an impertinent series of questions but I have to ask...

Do you know for certain that William and Hannah were married when Edward was born?

Or that William was Edward's father?

Could Hannah have been married before her marriage to William?

Could they have been living apart in the 1871 census -- maybe for employment reasons?

What did William do for a living?

There is a William STRAND on the Ancestry site which could really be STROUD -- see RG10/1904 Folio 20 Page 31. He's an Ag Lab and he fits age-wise [24] and he was born in Aldbourne. He's listed as unmarried and a lodger with a family named PIERCE. But the "unmarried" status could be an error.

One last question: do your Strouds and Brinds have any tie in with the surname ALEXANDER?

If so, I could see some possibilities for Hannah and Edward on the 1871 census. Otherwise, nothing really pops up as likely matches...

Regards,
Trish

Paul Marshall
31-12-2006, 8:40 AM
I found the following on freeBMD ?

Marriages Dec 1871
Stroud William
Marlbro' 5a 187

On the same page is a Hannah Alexander

I cannot find a marriage for William to a Hannah Brind ... do you have the certificate ?

Paul

Paul Marshall
31-12-2006, 8:49 AM
I don't see an Edward Stroud born 1865 - 1867 in Wiltshire but there is

Births Jun 1866 (>99%)
Alexander Edward W
Marlbro 5a 82

Ogbourne St George is 3 miles north of Marlborough.

Trish
31-12-2006, 9:36 PM
Yes, Paul, the possible connections with the Alexander name made me wonder if perhaps Hannah was married before her marriage to William Stroud... and if Edward is a son from Hannah's first marriage.

In the 1871 census, there's a Hannah Alexander, 27 years old, born in Mildenhall working as a servant in Marlborough and an Edward W. [no last name indicated], 5 years old, born Ogbourne St. George, living with his grandmother Mary Alexander in Mildenhall. [References: RG10/1906 Folio 6 Page 4 and RG10/1905 Folio 41 Page 14]

Sandymae, do you know when William and Hannah married and do you have them on the 1861 census?

Trish