PDA

View Full Version : Wiltshire Names: BERRETT, BARTLETT, GREEN, HARPUR, ROBBINS, RYLING

Lindad
01-09-2006, 10:11 PM
My Wiltshire roots include the following names:

BERRETT / BERROTT / BARRETT (All Cannings, Stanton St Bernard, Wilcot, Wootton Rivers)
BARTLETT (Wilcot)
GREEN (Stanton St Bernard)
HARPUR / HARPER (Wilcot?)
ROBBINS (Wilcot)
RYLING (Wootton Rivers)

I'd love to hear from anyone reseraching the same names.

jancar45
29-01-2009, 5:17 PM
Hi Lindad,

My single name was Harper and I've managed to trace my ggg grandfather James Harper b 1792 to Ramsbury, Wilts. According to the LDS his parents were John b 1768 and Ann b 1769. Are there any sites I can look at for early baptisms, marriages and burials for Wilts. Do any of your people come from Ramsbury, if so, perhaps we could share some info.

Kind Regards
Janet Carroll (nee Harper)

Sue Mackay
29-01-2009, 7:17 PM
BARTLETT (Wilcot)

Wilcot is possibly a bit too far east for me, but my 3 x great grandfather was William BARTLETT. He was one of the 1820 settlers to the Cape of Good Hope and his passage was paid for by the Parish of Westbury, though his initial application was made with a party from Frome, just over the Somerset border. He was described as a 22 year old gardener and was single when he sailed. I suspect that he actually came from Standerwick, especially as he called his farmstead in the Eastern Cape Standerwick. I have no idea who his parents were, however, so if anyone has 'lost' a William b circa 1798 from their tree I might be able to tell you what happened to him :D

Lindad
02-02-2009, 3:06 PM
Hi Lindad,

My single name was Harper and I've managed to trace my ggg grandfather James Harper b 1792 to Ramsbury, Wilts. According to the LDS his parents were John b 1768 and Ann b 1769. Are there any sites I can look at for early baptisms, marriages and burials for Wilts. Do any of your people come from Ramsbury, if so, perhaps we could share some info.

Kind Regards
Janet Carroll (nee Harper)

Hi Janet

Ramsbury isn't a million miles from Wootton Rivers... but my 'Harpurs'
are a bit of a mystery to me! All I know is that my 5 x G Grandmother was called Lucy Ryling. She was born in Wootton Rivers, Wiltshire, in 1798 and was, I believe, the youngest of seven children born to James Ryling and Ann Harpur. James and Ann married in Wootton Rivers in 1778 - but I have no real idea where they were born - and I currently know nothing about Ann's family.

The only place I know of to do early research into the parish records is at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre http://www.wshc.eu/ which is a bit of a trek... but Wiltshire is a lovely area to visit!

Best wishes,

Linda

Lindad
02-02-2009, 3:12 PM
Wilcot is possibly a bit too far east for me, but my 3 x great grandfather was William BARTLETT. He was one of the 1820 settlers to the Cape of Good Hope and his passage was paid for by the Parish of Westbury, though his initial application was made with a party from Frome, just over the Somerset border. He was described as a 22 year old gardener and was single when he sailed. I suspect that he actually came from Standerwick, especially as he called his farmstead in the Eastern Cape Standerwick. I have no idea who his parents were, however, so if anyone has 'lost' a William b circa 1798 from their tree I might be able to tell you what happened to him :D

Hi Sue

Yes, as you say, Wilcot probably is too far east for your Bartlett branch. It's a while since I last trawled the parish records - but I seem to recall that the name of Bartlett was not uncommon. Of course, at that stage, I wasn't really looking for Bartletts!!

I find that's the worst thing about trawling parish records; you spend hours looking down long lists of truely awful writing keeping an eye out for two or three specific surnames, then you manage to go back a generation and suddenly find that you are related to half the names you had perhaps exclaimed over for some reason but largely ignored... at which point you have to reinvent the wheel and start all over again... and then again... ;)

Best wishes,

Linda