PDA

View Full Version : Northants Names: BRANSTON, CLARKE, FLAWN, NOBLES, PAYNE, VORLEY

Lindad
01-09-2006, 10:01 PM
My Northamptonshire roots include the following names:

BRANSTON / BRAUNSTON (Wooton, Nether Heyford)
CLARKE (Bugbrook)
FLAWN (Irthlingborough)
NOBLES (Wellingborough)
PAYNE / PAINE (Northampton, Harpole)
VORLEY / VORLY (Wellingborough, Northampton)

I'd love to hear from anyone researching the same names.

Sueblax
07-04-2008, 5:43 PM
Hooray! Somebody else who is interested in the Flawns! My great-grandfather, Richard Flawn was born in Hargrave, Northants in 1834. (I believe that his father was also Richard - farmer.) Richard (Junior) moved down to Hartfield, Sussex, where he married Eleanor Hill in 1859. He described himself as a 'tradesman' on his marriage certificate. On the 1881 census, he was an 'engine proprietor agricultural machinery' and a 'farm bailiff' in 1891. There appear to have been another Flawn family also down in Sussex.

I wonder if we have any information at all that we can share about this family.

Sueblax

Lindad
10-04-2008, 6:58 PM
Hi Sue
The FLAWNs are definitely one of my brick walls! |banghead|

I only have one in my tree and she was my great great great grandmother! I have so far found it impossible to find out anything about her, other than the fact she was born in 1779 in Irthlingborough, Northamptonshire. She married Timothy Valentine VORLY (aka VORLEY) in 1801 and she died in 1853. She and Timothy had five children that I know of and the family appear to have moved from Irlingborough to Little Harrowden to Wellingborough and back to Irthlingborough. Most of the Vorleys settled in and around the village of Harpole.

So, my Elizabeth seems to be a generation of two before your Richard - but there must surely be a connection?!

I need to get up to Northampton to trawl the parish records... but its the old story of too much to do and too little time to do it...

Sueblax
11-04-2008, 2:14 PM
hi Linda,

Good to hear from you. Yes, there seem to be relatively few Flawns, so we must be related, somewhere along the way. Family story was that my grandmother, Ena Annie Flawn's family, was from Ireland, so I was very surprised to find that they came from Northamptonshire! (All my other roots are in Kent) I had a vague theory that they might have come over from Ireland as 'navigators' when the canals were built in the 18th century (the Grand Union Canal goes through Northants) but I think that can be disproved as I found mention of a "Richard Flawne" on one website with a date of somewhere in the 1500's.

Like you, I'd like to go and have a look in the Northamptonshire archives, but - so much to do - so little time!

best wishes

Sue

janbooth
11-04-2008, 2:27 PM
Hi to both Lindad and Sue,

There are quite a few marriages of FLAWNs on the Northants Marriage Index CD I have between 1700 & 1837.

Lindad, there is a marriage on 3 June 1827 at Irthlingborough between a Susanna FLAWN and a Daniel VOURLEY, they are both of the parish - could Daniel have some sort of connection to Timothy??

Sue, the only marriage I can find for a Richard FLAWN is one on 15 November 1821 at Chelveston cum Caldecott to an Elizabeth EADY. Richard was shown as being of Higham Ferrers.

Let me know if you would like any specific look-ups.

Janet

Sueblax
12-04-2008, 3:31 PM
Janet: You are a star!
As I said, I know that my great-grandfather, Richard Flawn, was born at Hargrave, Northants in 1834 and that I believe that his father was also a Richard. I have just looked at the map. Higham Ferrers and Hargrave are about 4 miles apart and Chelveston is about half-way between them. So, I should think that this is highly likely to be him.

Where did you get your Northants Marriage index CD? Was it from the Northants Family History Soc? Do you know if they have a CD with Northamptonshire births on? If so, obviously time to join the NFHS!

Many thanks,
Sue

Jan1954
12-04-2008, 3:40 PM
Where did you get your Northants Marriage index CD? Was it from the Northants Family History Soc? Do you know if they have a CD with Northamptonshire births on? If so, obviously time to join the NFHS!

Many thanks,
Sue

There are a lot of products about Northamptonshire available from The Parish Chest here: http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D2841&breadcrumb=Parish+Registers:Northamptonshire

Have a browse... :D

Sueblax
15-04-2008, 8:09 PM
Thanks, Jan:

I'll have a good rummage around in the parish chest!

Sue

Karen Page
31-05-2008, 2:24 PM
Hooray! Somebody else who is interested in the Flawns! My great-grandfather, Richard Flawn was born in Hargrave, Northants in 1834. (I believe that his father was also Richard - farmer.) Richard (Junior) moved down to Hartfield, Sussex, where he married Eleanor Hill in 1859. He described himself as a 'tradesman' on his marriage certificate. On the 1881 census, he was an 'engine proprietor agricultural machinery' and a 'farm bailiff' in 1891. There appear to have been another Flawn family also down in Sussex.

I wonder if we have any information at all that we can share about this family.

Sueblax

Hello Sue, I am currently transcribing for freecen the 1861 Hartfield and have I believe your Flawn families. Can you tell me if you need the 1861 info?

Karen

Sueblax
01-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Hello Karen:
I would love to have the Flawn information from the 1861 Census, please.
Thank you
Sue

Lindad
02-06-2008, 6:44 AM
There are quite a few marriages of FLAWNs on the Northants Marriage Index CD I have between 1700 & 1837.

Lindad, there is a marriage on 3 June 1827 at Irthlingborough between a Susanna FLAWN and a Daniel VOURLEY, they are both of the parish - could Daniel have some sort of connection to Timothy??

Whoops! Sorry - I've only just noticed this message!

Yes, I'll just bet there is a connection - but thus far I haven't got a Daniel Vourley (aka Vorly aka Vorley!) or a Susanna Flawn to match up.

I have quite a lot of data on this branch going way back - but a fair chunk of it was given to me and has not yet been substantiated. I really need to get up to Northamptonshire and have a major trawl through the various parish records... but that's not going to happen this year I'm afraid! :(

This year is Ireland, last year was Gloucestershire/Worcestershire, the previous year Suffolk, the previous year Wiltshire... this genealogy lark sure does eat into your holidays!

Lindad
02-06-2008, 6:52 AM
I suspect Daniel may have been Timothy's son.

Timothy Valentine Vorley married Elizabeth Flawn on the 10th of October 1801 (at Irthilingbrogh?) and their first child, Mary, was born in 1802. I've then got a gap in my data until William was born in 1810... followed by Reuben, Elizabeth and Charles.

janbooth
02-06-2008, 9:37 AM
Lindad,

From Northants Marriage Index 1700-1837:

16 November 1824 Edward VORLEY & Mary DEIGHTON, botp
26 October 1832 Elia? VORLEY & Elizabeth MADISON, botp
27 February 1812 Isaac VORLEY & Ann KEECH, botp
5 March 1837 James VORLEY & Hannah SMITH, botp
12 March 1799 at Raunds Leonard VORLEY of Irthlingborough & Jane JOHNSON, otp
12 April 1805 Saxby VORLEY, widower & Mary PARSONS, botp
10 November 1801 Timothy VORLEY & Elizabeth FLAWN, botp
19 February 1798 William VORLEY & Ann FOSTER, botp
1 July 1822 William BRIGHTWELL of Wellingborough & Ann VORLEY, widow, otp
27 September 1819 John NURRISH & Elizabeth VORLEY, botp
21 June 1835 John HORN & Mary VORLEY, botp
5 July 1824 John YOUNG & Susannah VORLEY, botp

All marriages at Irthlingborough unless otherwise stated. They might come in useful some time later down the line.

Janet

Karen Page
03-06-2008, 3:00 PM
Hello Sue,
In Hartfield, Sussex 1861 census:
Piece 9 578 ,ED 5, Folio 63. page 8, schedule 32
Address: Village
Flawn, Richard head mar m 28 steam thrashing machine propritor/ag lab nth,
hargrave
Flawn Ellen wife m f 28 milliner ssx hartfield
Flawn Frederick G D, son m 1 ssx hartfield
-------------
The other family is at Hartfield also and info follows:
ED 6, Folio 74, page 1 schedule 2
Address: Posingford Farm
Flawn william head m m 38 farmer nth chelveston
Flawn lucy wife m f 39 farmers wife mdx marylebone
Flawn lydia elizth daur f 13 scholar nth hargrave
Flawn caroline lucy daur f 10 scholar nth hargrave
Flawn georgiana daur f 8 scholar ssx hartfield
Flawn ann daur f 6 scholar ssx hartfield
Flawn william robt son m 3 ssx hartfield
Flawn james alfd son m 1 ssx hartfield
Flawn john brothr - m 30 engine driver for thrashing nth hargrave
Edwards sarah serv - f 27 ssx hartfield

That's all I have so far. I saw your message because I googled looking for
a confirmation of the spelling of surname Flawn and not flaun or flower?

Lucky you. At any rate, these should all be on Free Cens eventually and
you can look there now to see if you can find them in any other year, but it
appears that at least Wm & Lucy came to Hartfield about 1851 judging by
birthplace of their children. Good luck with your search and the webpage
for freecens is http://freecen.rootsweb.com/ If you forget google for
freecens.
Best wishes, Karen and I do hope this helps.

Karen Page
04-06-2008, 9:44 PM
ED 6, page 8 of folio 77, schedule 43

addess : white house

Flawn, Richard, head wid m 65 , farmer born Nth, rants (? raunts)

Karen

Lindad
05-06-2008, 8:20 PM
Lindad,

From Northants Marriage Index 1700-1837:

All marriages at Irthlingborough unless otherwise stated. They might come in useful some time later down the line.

Janet

Janet... thanks so much for these! I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes,

Linda

Sueblax
09-06-2008, 5:17 PM
Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for this. I suspected that my great-grandfather, Richard Flawn, owned a steam threshing machine and that his brother 'drove' it. You have confirmed my suspicions. Richard (head - widower) is my great-great grandfather.

Richard (Junior) had other brothers, Caleb, Joseph and John. But I don't know where William Flawn fits in. I'm starting to build up a picture of the family on my Tribal Pages website - let me know if you'd like the link to it. - Have you got Flawns in your family?

The next big puzzle is to solve is why the family moved from Northamptonshire (Midlands) to Sussex (South coast of England).

best wishes,
Sue

Jan1954
09-06-2008, 5:19 PM
...Nth, rants (? raunts)

Raunds

Sueblax
10-06-2008, 4:02 PM
Hi Karen and Jan:

Yes, it's definitely Raunds, which is in East Northamptonshire. I obviously didn't read through the list of names properly, as William and John are in fact brothers. (I hadn't discovered William before). Richard Senior married Elizabeth Eady in Chelveston (also near Raunds) in 1821. Clearly, their first child was born there.

The younger boys, Joseph, John and Richard, were all in court in Wellingborough (Northamptonshire) for poaching in 1846, so the family was still in Northants at that time! I'd love to know why they moved down to Sussex.

Best wishes,
Sue

Jan1954
10-06-2008, 4:14 PM
The younger boys, Joseph, John and Richard, were all in court in Wellingborough (Northamptonshire) for poaching in 1846, so the family was still in Northants at that time! I'd love to know why they moved down to Sussex.

Maybe they were in court once too often and thought that the long arm of the law couldn't reach them in Sussex... :D

Seriously, though, it was probably the offer of work - that was the main reason why people moved.

Deena Lester
18-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Lindad, My Great-Great Grandfather was Thomas Payne born 1830 in Olney he married Elizabeth Holding in 1855 in Northampton, they had a son John William Payne born in 1857 in Northampton, they came to Australia where they had 4 more children. James in 1859 (my Great Grandfather) - Thomas in 1863 - Susan Harriet in 1868 and Emily in 1871. I was told three brothers came out together, one jumped ship some where off the Queensland coast and was never heard from again. I do not know the names of the two brothers. I would love more information on the family as we are doing up our family tree. May be you can help us if we are of the same family. hope to talk soon. Deena

Lindad
04-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Deena

My Payne family (aka Paine) were concentrated very much in Harpole area. None of the names/dates that you have mentioned currently match data that I already have - but the Payne family was large and Olney is not a million miles away from Harpole.

You are welcome to look at my website. If you email me I will send you details.

With best wishes,

Linda

Anne V
08-11-2009, 4:33 AM
Hi,
I would really appreciate any information you have on the Vorley connections. I understand my grandad is from Wellingborough.

From Anne:)