PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Microfiche

Stu H
01-09-2006, 5:52 PM
Can anybody recommend a suitable scanner for scanning microfiche? the eventual aim is to convert fiche for easy viewing and access on a PC. I see Canon do an MS300 Microfilm/fiche scanner, but will this do the business with typical "Parish Register" type microfiche? If it will produce reasonably good results does anyone have an idea of its cost?

Neil Wilson
01-09-2006, 7:04 PM
If you google for the MS300, you will see that it is claimed to be the best one for this type of work. At a cost of $6,452.00 :eek:

Neil

Peter Goodey
01-09-2006, 7:39 PM
Sorry I haven't got an answer, I'm just grumbling.

If a 3200 dpi (optical) counts as a "typical" consumer scanner, it doesn't deliver the goods!

Next, I'm going to experiment with using the digital camera.

Geoffers
01-09-2006, 9:31 PM
Next, I'm going to experiment with using the digital camera.
I find digital cameras work well with fiches as an aid to interpretation. I use them for the entries where the fiche is not clear/out of focus. Using computer software I find that by changing between positive and negative images, and viewing the image in different colours (sepia is quite good) helps to pick out detail which I know exists on the original document. The fiches I purchase are copyright, so I delete the images afterwards, both from my hard drive and from the camera's memory.

Geoffers

Stu H
01-09-2006, 10:04 PM
I find digital cameras work well with fiches as an aid to interpretation. I use them for the entries where the fiche is not clear/out of focus. Using computer software I find that by changing between positive and negative images, and viewing the image in different colours (sepia is quite good) helps to pick out detail which I know exists on the original document. The fiches I purchase are copyright, so I delete the images afterwards, both from my hard drive and from the camera's memory.

Geoffers

Geoffers; So to do this, you take a digital pic of the fiche viewer screen? - Then manipulate the resulting image on the PC?

Peter Goodey
01-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Taking pictures directly from the screen of a fiche viewer is pretty successful providing you know how to use the camera. I find it's faster than scribbling notes and circumvents problems with my illegible handwriting.

My next experiment (and what I meant to say in my earlier message) is photographing the fiche itself. As soon as I can lay my hands on some glass slide mounts, I'll be having a go.

Rod Neep
01-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Allow me to tell you the very best way to get results, without a lot of expensive equipment.

Find access to a fiche printer. Print to A4 paper
Scan the print on your bog standard home flatbed scanner.

The end result is as perfect as it can get, and is better than expensive microfiche scanners.

Rod

PS. it is possible to purchase old Canon fiche printers for about 200.00 or less. (But they are big lumps)

Geoffers
02-09-2006, 3:21 PM
Geoffers; So to do this, you take a digital pic of the fiche viewer screen? - Then manipulate the resulting image on the PC?
Yep, that's the way I do it, the back lighting of the fiches from the viewer means that I can take photos in almost total darkness, without using a flash.

Geoffers

Alick Lavers
12-05-2008, 2:15 PM
Help please? As an OPC, I am finding that searching fiches with my old microfiche reader is very tiring work.

I have just found this thread and I am full of hope... Microfiche printer, you say - does it print from a microfiche film (ie, some 60 sheets) or from a microfiche reader (ie, only a part of a sheet)?

Who would have such an item? Devon Records Office, perhaps? Or Devon Family History Society? Or even the local library?

Guy Etchells
12-05-2008, 5:41 PM
If you wish to photograph microfiche using a microfiche viewer the best way is to remove the screen of the viewer and project the image onto a white wall/door/screen and photograph that.
This avoids the pattern made by the microfiche bulb.
Cheers
Guy

Ken Boyce
13-05-2008, 5:56 AM
Rod’s suggestion for copying fiche images is good however, many of us have to use microfiche readers at Public Libraries, FHCs, Archives and the like where the fiche readers do not have printing facilities (or we are not allowed to or cannot do a Guy with the screen so could we do some other light dispersing trick including the use of pre or post software adjustments)

Also much of the LDS stuff is on film and cannot be printed directly from the reader (at least not at our local centres which requires rewinding of the film, then mounting on the printer and reeling to the required image for printing. A time consuming process particularly if the image is a difficult one and/or if the equipment is busy.

I contacted the local LDS FHC and they will allow filming from the readers but no flash I don't know if this is Utah's policy or is just a local decision. Cost was not mentioned but I would donate a nominal sum for the privilege

I also contacted our local Public Library and was told that I was the first person to raise the question of using a digital camera to make copies of anything not just microfiche (there is only one library branch that has a microfiche printer). After an internal discussion they came back and stated that provided the Library rules regarding copyright were adhered to there was no objection to the filming any material in the library and at no charge They also agreed that filming is less onerous on books than copying and that they may consider setting up a camera stn as apparently has been done in some other libraries

Our local universities and higher education facilities all have fiche printers including some government offices (i.e. Land Titles etc) and also some local archives (some of which send out the stuff for copying) I plan to contact a number of these institutions to get their official position re the use of cameras for general copying (I suspect many with laptops fitted with those useless tiny ‘eyes’ or handheld line scanners have attempted to take copies of materials permission granted or not ). I am aware that in most cases the copying of rare and historical material cannot be done directly by members of the public

What has been the experience of other researchers regarding the use of cameras at archives and libraries?

Regards

Peter Goodey
13-05-2008, 6:36 AM
What has been the experience of other researchers regarding the use of cameras at archives and libraries?

National Archives: Permitted (no fee)

London Metropolitan Archives: Permitted (fee payable, daily rate)

Kent Archive Service: Not permitted

I could carry on but that will do as a representative sample.

Ken Boyce
13-05-2008, 4:37 PM
Thanks Peter

I’m contemplating using up some airmiles by visiting the UK this winter when the crowds have gone (not sure if that applies to gensearchers)

Do you know what the camera use policy is at Guildhall

Regards

Peter Goodey
14-05-2008, 8:07 AM
Do you know what the camera use policy is at Guildhall

Not specifically I'm afraid but I would guess it's the same as LMA as they're ultimately under the same management.

AnnB
14-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I was checking out the Guildhall Libray manuscripts section just now and found this in the section entitled 'How to Obtain a Copy of a Manuscript'

PHOTOGRAPHS OF ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS
Visitors to the section are normally permitted to photograph manuscripts using their own cameras. Please complete a copyright declaration form (obtainable from the Manuscripts enquiry desk) before you proceed.

Best wishes
Ann