PDA

View Full Version : Marsh & March Families in Cambridgeshire

John Marsh
01-09-2006, 3:54 AM
CAMBRIDGESHIRE MARSHES: I am interested in Cambridgehire Marsh families, and families with variant spellings, eg March, & Musick (could derive from de Mersc, and early spelling of Marsh). Names Mears/ Mearsh/ Maris/ Marris/ Morse/ Moss may also be surname variants in the area. These have spread to adjoinging counties, and I am interested in these also.

WEST WRATTING MARSHES: My own Marsh family traces to West Wratting in Cambridgeshire, but this family spreads over a wide area in South Cambridgeshire, and into Hertfordshire, Suffolk, possibly Essex, and Norfolk. Deeper ancestry may connect to Huntingdon, & Northampton.

MARSH DNA PROJECT: I am Project Adinistrator of the Marsh Families DNA Project. Through the Marsh DNA project, I am trying to identify which Cambridgeshire Marsh families are related, and track them to their roots.

INFORMATION SOUGHT ON EARLY MARSH FAMILIES & COATS OF ARMS: If anyone has any information on very early Marsh or March families in Cambridgeshire, I would love to hear from them. I am also interested in any coats of arms used by Cambridgeshire Marsh and March families, as these might help hint at early family connections.

EARLY MARSH FAMILIES IN CAMBRIDGESHIRE:
1) A Rololf de Marisco/ Marsh, a Norman who fought at the battle of Hastings, had estates in Cambridgeshire shortly after 1066, and was also connected with Northampton and Essex. This family had a rampant lion on the coat of arms.
2) There was a Sir Stephen de Marisco (/Marsh) in Cambridgeshire in the 1100s. Does anyone know what coat of arms he may have had?
3) A March family (often spelled Marsh) has been in Cambridgeshire since the 1400s at least, and had lions heads on the coat of arms.
4) A Marsh family was associated with Pampisford, and Waresley since the 1500s, and also Mimms in Essex, and London. This family may have had several different coats of arms.

The above families have historically been connected with similar areas, hinting at possible connections.

HUNTINGDONSHIRE MARSHES: Does anyone have any information on an early Marsh family from Huntingdonshire which had 3 talbots heads on the coat of arms?

PARTICIPANTS SOUGHT FOR MARSH DNA PROJECT: The DNA project is giving some interesting clues. If more Cambridgeshire Marsh/ March/ Musick/ Mears/ Mearsh/ Maris etc familes were DNA tested, it would help make things clearer. I would be very keen to hear from anyone with these surnames tracing to the Cambridgeshire area. If anyone knows of any person from a Cambridgeshire Marsh family, I would be grateful if you would draw their attention to the Marsh DNA project.

INFORMATION SOUGHT ON CAMBRIDGESHIRE MARSH FAMILIES: I am interested in any history/ family trees of any Cambridgeshire Marsh/ March etc families, of any periods.

John Marsh
[email protected]