PDA

View Full Version : Davies Family Stockton C1882-1894

daryn davies
31-08-2006, 10:18 AM
My Paternal Grandparentsx2 Hailed From Wrexham In North Wales.however, I Have Discovered That They Resided In Stockton At Aplace Called St.ann's Hill During The Latter Part Of The 19th Century. My Grandfather Was Called Edwin And He Was A "puddler", And I Am Interested To Discover Where He Might Have Worked, The Type Of Social Conditions That Prevailed At The Time, And How He Manageto Travel From Warrington, Where He Resided Prior To Moving, To Stockton.

Lancelot
31-08-2006, 10:45 AM
[QUOTE=daryn davies]My Paternal Grandparentsx2 Hailed From Wrexham In My Grandfather Was Called Edwin And He Was A "puddler", And I Am Interested To Discover Where He Might Have Worked, [quote]

A relative of mine was William Ashmore. He founded Ashmore Benson & Pease. It's only one of many places that he could have worked, as a puddler in their foundry. They were in Bowesfield Lane, Stockton. Search in Google.

daryn davies
31-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks Lancelot, will try that

Geoffers
31-08-2006, 2:56 PM
Durham Record Office web-site
http://www.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/usp.nsf/pws/durham+record+office+-+durham+record+office+homepage

has an interesting mapping system - from the above page, select maps and close in on Stockton, then select historic maps , you're given choices as to the period and can enlarge areas to see how the town expanded during the 19th century. It works quite slowly, but the maps are detailed.

Geoffers

daryn davies
31-08-2006, 3:11 PM
Thanks Geoffers......very Informative And Interesting