PDA

View Full Version : Registering a death

mikem
30-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Is it necessary for a relative of the deceased to register a death PRIOR to burial or cremation. I have a relative who died and was buried in the first quarter of 1964 but appears in the index of deaths for the second quarter.

Geoffers
31-08-2006, 8:09 AM
Several weeks are permitted to register a birth or death. So, if someone was born or died in late February, or March - their birth/death may nbot have been registered until April and so appear in the June Quarter index. Remember it is only an index to events registered within that quarter, not necessarily an index to events which occurred in that time period.

Geoffers

Peter Goodey
31-08-2006, 8:27 AM
From memory (I hope I'm not talking through my hat again), if there were to be an inquest, it is possible for a certificate to be issued permitting the burial to take place in advance of the inquest and hence before registration.

What does the death certificate say?

Pam Downes
31-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi Mike,
Regarding Peter's comments, there is a case in my family of a burial occuring on the date of the death registration because of an inquest. The informant is noted as 'Certificate received from John Smith Coroner for abc district, county of xyz. Inquest held 17th March 1921.' The registration and burial took place on the 18th.

I regard the following as the fount of all knowledge re BMD certificates. Have a read of 'date of registration' in the death certificates section.
http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm
Pam