PDA

View Full Version : Water Bailiff - any connection to Royal Marines?

vicaby
29-08-2006, 10:28 AM
My ancestor Thomas Tovey is described as a Water Bailiff on two of his daughters' marriage certificates (1866 & 1867). He died in 1851, his occupation given as Pensioner - 1851 census says Royal Marine pensioner. I am not sure whether the two positions are connected, but at the moment assume probably not.

Always mindful that he died when his daughters were quite young (so they probably never really knew what he did for a living), nor was it uncommon to exaggerate your father's importance to your in-laws, could anyone tell me:-

1. if he really was employed in this capacity, would there be an official record anywhere to confirm it? Was his employer likely to be the major landowner in the area, or was this a government post of some kind?
He lived in North Somerset.
2. Anyone know the criteria for collecting a pension from the Royal Marines - is it worth while trying to find records for that?

The only other background I can give is that he married in 1840 at the age of about 42 - apparently for the first time - so a prior career at sea does seem possible. I have no information about him between his baptism in 1798 & the 1840 marriage certificate (in which he gives his occupation as Yeoman!). At the time of his marriage he is living only a few miles (quite a long way inland!) from where he was born.

Peter Goodey
29-08-2006, 11:23 AM
"I am not sure whether the two positions are connected, but at the moment assume probably not."

Sounds like a retirement job.

"Anyone know the criteria for collecting a pension from the Royal Marines - is it worth while trying to find records for that? "

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=56

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=59

Ralph
04-09-2006, 3:34 AM
My listing has: WATER BAILIFF An official in charge of the fishing rights on a stretch of water. A river policeman or in coastal towns a customs official.
Hope if some help. Ralph.

vicaby
05-09-2006, 7:50 AM
thanks for the reposnses - looks like it might be worthwhile spending a couple of days at Kew then.

If he was "in charge of fishing rights" (the likeliest interpretation given the area he was living) I wondered whether this would be on behalf of some sort of government department or would he be employed by the local landowner?

Peter Goodey
05-09-2006, 8:16 AM
If you're still worrying about the water bailiff business, I would have thought Somerset Archives would be likelier.

Military records from the National Archives will probably be more fruitful. You may be able to order them remotely without travelling to Kew.