PDA

View Full Version : Where is Greenoch?

Barsby
08-11-2004, 5:10 AM
I am looking for help in locating an address. I have a James Oliver living at 12 Belleville St. Greenoch or Greenock in 1881. Would SKS please help with this address. Would like to know if it is near Glasgow. I have little knowledge of the area. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Regards, Brenda from Ontario, Canada.

Geoffers
08-11-2004, 8:07 AM
A good online map is:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Enter the place name, Greenock and you'll see it is a town on the Clyde - from memory about 15-20 miles west of Glasgow.

If the street still exists, you should also be able to locate it with this map.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Guy Etchells
08-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes it is just west of Glasgow, I would suggest the Old Maps site as that site gives 6 inch to the mile maps from 1891.
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
Cheers
Guy

Barsby
08-11-2004, 4:53 PM
Thank you Geoffers and Guy for the help. Found the area I needed. Knowing where to look and that the street is still there is great.
Sure appreciate you help.
Brenda, from cold Ontario, Canada.

29-05-2005, 1:51 AM
I am looking for help in locating an address. I have a James Oliver living at 12 Belleville St. Greenoch or Greenock in 1881. Would SKS please help with this address. Would like to know if it is near Glasgow. I have little knowledge of the area. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.
Regards, Brenda from Ontario, Canada.
Hi Brenda
Greenock is in Scotland but quite a good bit away from Glasgow
i will find the exact area and get back to you
best wishes
Madge Taylor

Wirral
29-05-2005, 8:57 AM
Although Greenock is about 30 miles as the crow flies from the centre of Glasgow, in terms of accessability it is very close. Greenock is at the mouth of the River Clyde, Glasgow is up-river, so there is lots of river traffic. The railway also links them. I should think even in the 1880's you could live in Greenock & commute to Glasgow by train.