PDA

View Full Version : Chirton, Northumberland.

Joan McEwan
23-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Hello All,

This is my first post on this forum so I am hoping some kind person will be able to help me. My ancestors came from Chirton in Northumberland. As I am trying to find out more I would love some information on Chirton. Is there anywhere I can search for headstones or perhaps cemeteries in the area? Living as I do in Australia, most of my search is on the internet. By the way, their name was COULSEY. Any help would be just wonderful.

Kind regards..........Joan

WaltonAus
23-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Hello Joan, earlier tonight I read a post that may be the answer you are looking for.

To quote Noel :
Hi all.
I found this site, it gives some graves in around Norfolk plus you can go to other areas also. Might be of interest to some one researching their family.
www.
gravestonephotos.com/cem...php?cemetery=49

Noel

I had a quick look and it does seem like it maybe quite useful and user friendly.
I had a look for Coulsey on IGI but found none. I then tried Googlig Coulsey and got many hits. I also Googled Chirton Northumberland and got the following hit.

Family History UK - Free UK GenealogyDescendents of Robert and Mary Ann Coulsey who were living in Chirton Northumberland during the above dates. Their children were Matthew born 1871, ...

It could well be worth following up. There were many other references to Chirton that may help you find info.

Good Luck & Kind Regards
Peter Euston.

Joan McEwan
25-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Hello Peter,

Thank you so much for your response, I will certainly follow up all leads.

Kind regards........Joan

patsyq
29-08-2006, 4:28 AM
Chirton is part of North Shields ...Chirton ..Preston Willington Quay Howdon Percy Main all villages amongst others around and part of North Shields a town on the banks of the Tyne which in turn was part of the County Borough of Tynemouth....When I left there for Hong Kong in 1959 it was in Northumberland and when I returned it was part of North Tyneside and came under the County of Tyne & Wear so if you do a search for Chirton North Shields Tynemouth etc on the internet or even North Tyneside you may find out a bit more ...The main Cemetary in North Shields is called Preston Cemetary as it was in the small village of Preston on the outskirts of North Shields now the industrial estates fan out in all directions over what was green fields when I was a girl....Hope this helps .....Try sending a letter to North Shields Library Northumberland Square North Shields North Tyneside Tyne & Wear with a stamped addressed envelope if you are in UK and if abroad the cost of what you think the postage would be I find Head Librarians are very helpful also look up the Northumberland & Durham family history society on the internet they may have a local branch for North Shields...Hope this helps....

Joan McEwan
29-08-2006, 7:28 AM
To Patsyq

Thank you so much for your very interesting information on Chirton. I shall certainly follow up all leads. I live in Australia so all my research is mostly done on line. I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me.

Many thanks and kind regards..........Joan