PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help to find out

brum
07-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Hi all
i am a new member
and new to tracing family iam trying to found out where my nan was born and married she was born in trinity street oldbury west bromwich and she was married at the parish church holy trinty north harbourne smethwick i am under the unstanding this was in the same road where she was born .
has anyone got any info on both or any old photos has i have been seaching and found nothing out thankyou brum......

Jo Simpsons
08-11-2004, 12:08 AM
Hi Brum,
why don't you give yours Nans name maiden and married name and may be her age? Anything else you know? There are some lovely people on here and I'm sure will try and help.
Jo :)

Guy Etchells
08-11-2004, 10:25 AM
It is possible, Trinirty Street, named after Trinity church is south of junction 1 of the M5 motorway. It is one of the streets off the B4169 the old road that runs alongside Tollhouse Way.
Cheers
Guy

brum
08-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Glad i come arcoss a well run site and a helpfull one ,
well jo you would not belived the trouble i have had with trying to trace her
her name was polly devey she was born on the 7 -8 - 1890 i got her birth cerfic she was born at 13 trinity street west bromwich her parents names were john devey and annie devey nee duffield she was married in 1908 at the parish church north harborne smethwick her father must have not have been alived for on her her marriges cefic it has it got decesed .she was married to a william jennings. which i found out the church was was in the same road where she was born which i look up on the net .
well they spell her maiden name wrong on her married ceifc they spell it davy which is also spell like that on my mom brith cerfic .
Its looks like she was living with him befor they were married at no 2 back of 88 halford street smethwick .
She went on to married a second time to a harry green my granfather .
must have been in the earley 1920s they had three children harry and rosehannah and ronald .
i have not got anyone on her side who can tell me anything has little harry die around 1928 when he was 4 my mom has saldly passed away and my uncle cannot remeber anything .
they never knew anything has she never spoke of anything there is talk she had children with jennys but do not know what happen to them .
i would love to find out what happen in her frist marriged did she become widow or just leif him and how many children did they have .
and most one i want to find is her marriges to my granfather harry green
so i can look on his side. thankyou brum......

Jo Simpsons
08-11-2004, 5:17 PM
Hi Brum,
on the beginners section there is good advice for post 1901.
I tried to look 1901 and 1891 and couldn't come up with the names together, couldn't find Polly at all. Did they have other names that they could have used? What was the occupation of John?
At least you have some certificates to help to go along with. :)
Jo

brum
08-11-2004, 5:51 PM
no jo polly was her name not short for anything also john was a genral larbour then befor he die he was a pattern maker thanks brum

Phil
08-11-2004, 6:36 PM
I have come across someone called Dee on genes reconnected who has a Polly Devey b. 1908 and a John Devey b. c. 1869 and also a Annie Duffield b. 1870. I have emailed them for you and I hope we can get a link for you.

Regards

Phil

Jo Simpsons
08-11-2004, 6:40 PM
SNAP Phil, I did the same but I emailed Brum and she thinks its her. :)

Have you looked for the name too? Seems so odd not to be on 1901 or 1891. I was just thinking that may be her father died soon after she was born and had taken another surname in the census? :confused:
Jo

brum
08-11-2004, 6:57 PM
just got your emil from the site phil yes its me thankyou for your trouble
see jo the troule i am having finding them ????? just cant seam to find them
hope i not putting you to much trouble thankyou again brum....
i should have put dee on here save you the trouble what you both been to day sorry ..... i have to change it
ps how would i find out if he die and when thanks i bet you think im thick i was so pleased when i found the frist marriges it getting harder has i going on

brum
08-11-2004, 7:00 PM
sorry i cant changen my used name

Jo Simpsons
08-11-2004, 7:14 PM
Don't need to change your name :) It's nice.

It's no worries, at least you can see people are trying, more eyes are better than 1, even if they can't see them too :D But you never know. The more places you can ask the better.

Still trying.
Jo

brum
08-11-2004, 7:28 PM
Thanyou jo for you help most kind brum

Jo Simpsons
08-11-2004, 7:38 PM
Hi brum,
you can look here for free,for births deaths and marriages
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
and also try
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
for county areas

I looked on freeBMD but there are a few John Devey that have died around that time, some no good, look too old or too young, one is 25 in 1899 Dec. That would make him young to have had Polly, not impossible. FreeBMD isn't complete and there are also transcription errors to think about too.
I'm sure someone will come up with something.

brum
08-11-2004, 8:15 PM
Thankyou jo for your help brum....

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 1:42 PM
Hi Brum,

a possible marriage on freeBMD, March quarter, 1887, Stourbridge, 6c 135

John Bryant

John Davy

Ann Duffield

Ruth Hunt

Geoffers
09-11-2004, 3:52 PM
There are two parts to this reply to avoid duplicated text...

polly devey was born on the 7 -8 - 1890 at 13 trinity street west bromwich her parents names were john devey and annie devey nee duffield she was married in 1908 at the parish church north harborne smethwick her father must have not have been alived for on her her marriges cefic it has it got decesed .she was married to a william jennings.
You should be able to find the death certificate for William Jennings by using the General Register Office (GRO) index. This can be found at the Family Records Centre (FRC) in London - on fiches at many Local Studies' Centres in England and Wales, on a pay-per-view website, 1837online and there is the freebmd website, which is not complete - but free.

What age was William Jennings when he married? Use this to help you see if he died in WW1, using the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) website
http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

If you find him there, you should then be able to locate his medal card on part of The National Archives (TNA) website, documents online http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

[well they spell her maiden name wrong on her married ceifc they spell it davy which is also spell like that on my mom brith cerfic .
It's important to be aware that spelling of surnames changed a lot, even up to the start of the 20th century; names were spelt as they sounded and as regional accents were stronger, the variations in spelling was much greater.

Geoffers

Geoffers
09-11-2004, 4:04 PM
This is part two of my reply

She went on to married a second time to a harry green my granfather .must have been in the earley 1920s they had three children harry and rosehannah and ronald .i would love to find out what happen in her frist marriged did she become widow or just leif him and how many children did they have and most one i want to find is her marriges to my granfather harry green
so i can look on his side. thankyou brum......The index to wills - again at The FRC in London and also available on microfilm at many Local Studies' Centres may help to find William Jennings death. It is a useful resource, easy to use and often forgotten. You may not find owt, but then that is the luck of the draw.

The GRO index to marriages should help you find the second marriage - if you are not sure how to use these, just ask.
As to the 1901 census and not being anle to locate the family, I wonder if they were in Aston?

The 1901 census has a John Devey aged 41, Annie Devey aged 30, Ivy and Sarah aged 10 and Ida aged 8 all living in Aston as well - they may not be all one family, but then they may be?!

The birthplace given for the two elder children is just 'Birmingham' and after all it isn't far to West Bromwich. Now I know that you have the name as Polly, but many children were given one name and known by another - good examples can be found on the General chatter board of this website. My dad alsways thought his sister was called Jane until I found her birth certificate under Sally!?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

brum
09-11-2004, 5:33 PM
hi jo thankyou for your message .
who was ruth hunt john bryant was they witness to there there marriges
thankyou for looking for me brum.......ps is there a date

brum
09-11-2004, 5:38 PM
Hi geoffers
Thankyou you very much for all the time and troule in writing info you given me .
what is the gro index to marriges and yes how do i used them .
you said about my nan name polly that is her right name not short for anything its on her birth cerfic and what every one call her you all given me hope i just might find her secound marrige to my granfather thankyou brum.....

brum
09-11-2004, 5:48 PM
Hi Jo
I Just Try To Get On Freebmd But It Will Not Work It Erro Have You Had The Same Promble Brum ....

Jo Simpsons
09-11-2004, 6:20 PM
Sorry Brum, I should have said. When you look on freeBMD it will give you people who have the same number, generally it is 4 people but can be more, can be less too if the names haven't all been transcribed. Showing up on this are 4 people who got married who are on the same page. They are listed alphabetically.
6c, this is the volume number, this is for the county it was in,6c is warwickshire or worcestershire.
135, this is the page number.
the numbers can be used to order certificates from the GRO, not the local office, they use different numbers. This is the web site for GRO
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
March quarter, In 1887.
Is this a bit clearer? If not just say.

Geoffers
09-11-2004, 7:57 PM
[you said about my nan name polly that is her right name not short for anything its on her birth cerfic and what every one call her you all given me hope i just might find her secound marrige to my granfather thankyou brum....]

I'll deal with this bit first as it's quicker. Although her given name was Polly and she may have used this name as an adult, her parents may have called her something else whilst she was a child and used this in the census - this may not be the correct explanation in this case, but it is possible and did happen.

[Thankyou you very much for all the time and troule in writing info you given me. what is the gro index to marriges and yes how do i used them .]

This will take a little longer - I'll put the first part about what it is on this message and will follow up with part 2 on how to use it and where to apply for certificates.

Since 1837 there has been a system of registering births, and marriages, and deaths - you'll often see this referred to as civil registration. Very briefly, a birth, marriage or death was recorded by a local Registrar. The local Registrar sent details to the General Register Office (GRO).

The GRO produced an index to the events which were registered; the index contains minimal information in order for the GRO to be able to locate a full entry.

The index was produced every quarter of a year, the events registered in January, February or March appear in the March Quarter, events registered in April, May or June appeared in the June quarter, etc. The index is arraneged alphabetically by surname, then forename(s), and includes the district where the event occurred along with the volume and page number on which the GRO recorded the event. Over time, small additional details have been added to the index to make it easier to use (e.g. age at death was added first, then in the marriage index names of spouse, and the births index added maiden name of mother).

Geoffers
09-11-2004, 8:11 PM
Part 2 - how to use the index.

Okay, you have a birth certificate dated 7 Aug 1890 for Polly DEVEY, it names her parents as John and Annie (maiden name DUFFIELD). So, you may assume to begin with that John DEVEY and Annie DUFFIELD married prior to the birth of Annie. August falls in the September Quarter, so that should be the latest index in which their marriage should appear. So, if searching the marriage index, begin there and work backwards in time until you find an entry for a DUFFIELD in which at least one of the bride's first names is Ann or Anne or Annie - check all the entries for each quarter.

Just as an example, let's suppose you work back to the March Quarter of 1887 an there you find an Annie DUFFIELD recorded as married in Stourbridge and the volume number is 6c and page number 135. Now in the same Quarter and Year, look under DEVEY, John (and check all entries with John, Jon, Jonathon and Jonathan) to see if you can find one with the same district, volume and page number. If you do, then there is a very high probability that this is the entyr for the marriage that you want and you can apply for a copy of the certificate with some degree of confidence.

You can apply and pay for copies of certificates online via the GRO website
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
This also gives some guidance on obtaining certificates.

There are other ways to apply for certificates, but I want to keep this simple at the moment.

Hope that all makes sense, if not please ask again
Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

brum
09-11-2004, 9:58 PM
Once Again May I Thankyou Both For The Time And Trouble You Both Have Given To Help Me Both Of You Are Learning Me Alot Its Nice To Come Across To Kind And Helfull People Brum....

brum
15-11-2004, 6:00 PM
hi jo and everyone whos help me
just to let you know i still looking for my nan secound marrige just cant seam to find anything also cannot find any old photos of trinity street or the church in west browich never mind thought i let you know how im getting on

brum..........

Geoffers
15-11-2004, 7:05 PM
cannot find any old photos of trinity street or the church in west browich.brum.
You could see if your local library could get hold of a copy of:

West Bromwich in Old Photographs
(one of the Britain in Old Photographs Series)
Sutton Publisihing
ISBN 0862996724

or alternatively you could see if your local bookshop could order you a copy.

There may be a photo or two of interest in that?

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Jo Simpsons
15-11-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi Brum,
sorry you are not getting any further.
Did you check out the marriage for Ann Duffield and John Davy?
If you live near the area the local library or archives could help you. They will also have indexes to check for the marriages, check what one has them first. For Harry Green I would check his name first, go a couple of years either side of the time you think. Write the numbers down. Then check for Polly, remember the name variations, around the dates and quarters you have and try and find a match. Will be time consuming but will help... If you find a match you can buy the cert.
Keep us up to date and you never know who might have more help.
Fingers crossed for you.

brum
24-11-2004, 5:40 PM
well all i am so pleased i have found out so much on my father side of the family but still nothing on my mother side polly devey or my granfather john
it seam they not on any ceusu for any time and this was so importine tome has i know nothing about them still cant find her marriges to my granfather harry green just do not know what happen to them
hope all of you are well brum .................